1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage Rifle Question...( new model )

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a 22-250 in the heavey fluted stainless barrel, it is very accurate out of the box, nice trigger.

looked at the remington first, which was what I was going to buy, but the accu-trigger on the savage sold me.

the barrel is also floated.

I have hit p-dogs at over 500 yds.

tony

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Savage, and more so Stevens, are great bargains and are known to be very accurate right out of the box. Their triggers leave something to be desired, even some AccuTriggers have issues, but they are very easy to tune up. I just "tuned" my Stevens 200 trigger to a constant, no creep 3lb pull, which took all of 20 minutes! Certainly good enough for hunting!

Another super-plus thing about these rifles is the ability to change barrels (and calibers) without spending an arm and a leg. It is relatively easy to swap barrels, and bolt heads by yourself, if you are mechanically inclined. There are several websites with a lot of info. Sharpshootersupply.com, and Savagegunsmithing.com are two.

Good Shooting!

AndyH

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Without a doubt these rifles are the best shooters out of the box on the mass produced rifle market. I personally think they are ugly but they do shoot like higher end custom rifles. You can't go wrong with a Savage bolt gun. What you save on buying the Savage over a M700 or M77 you can put into the optics and/or an aftermarket trigger if you don't start out with the accu-trigger.

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

For the value of dollar's spent, Savage wins hands down.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a 22-250 LRPV and love it. It's as close as you can get to a bench gun for shooting PD's and costs a little over a grand. H-S Precision stock, aluminum bedding blocks, and a 6 to 18 oz Target Accutrigger.

It just don't get any better than that.

I have 2 Remmy PD guns too and they are just fine. Savage isn't giving anything away to the other makes any more.

HM

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I have the Mod. 40 in .22 Hornet. Excellent rifle.

7. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

I just bought my 6th Savage heavy barrel.

You will not be sorry

Dick The Shooter

8. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Great gun for the money, very accurate. Downside,ugly, and the bolt will never feel like a Remington.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I prefer the box mag of the 11..especially going in and out of trucks to prairie poodle hot spots

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Savage guns are all good IF they are the laminated stock, not the total synthetic stock. Great, great, great guns!!! Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, the most gun for the buck!!! I love my 220 Swift by Savage.

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

ctreay,

I think it would be a pretty simple swap for you to put an Accutrigger in your older Savage, but I'm not sure about that.

Savage rifles have always been accurate, the only thing that people complained about was the triggers, but those complaints were put to rest with Savage introducing the Accutrigger. They still aren't a custom hunting rifle, but you won't find much better for shooting varmints or paper!

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Accu trigger won't fit in older guns.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My next rifle will be a Savage. An American company run by an Irishman. You can't beat that!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I gave my son a Savage Predator Hunter in 223 for his high school graduation. Did a writeup about his first hunting trip with it at the link. I'm sold on the new Savage rifles for accuracy. Plan on getting a Predator Hunter for coyote hunting myself, but not sure if I want one in 22-250 or 243.

15. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Stay with the laminated stock 12 series

for bench shooting

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

You simply CAN NOT beat a Savage out of the box these days. If it's an older one without the accu-trigger, just install a Basix and you're good to go.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

"Very helpful & informative group of guys on this site. ( especially on a Trapshooting oriented site )"

that's because were a bunch of knowitalls!!

tony

18. pahunter1

pahunter1 TS Member

Anybody have experence with the Savage in .17 HMR

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Yeah, I have a stainless laminated Savage 93 in .17 HMR. I put a Basix trigger in it and it's set at 11oz. It has a 3x9 Redfield Illuminator scope and is my favorite plinker by far. The only thing that I didn't like about the gun was that it seemed to be made for a little kid, so I cut a comb in it and added an adjustable butt plate and thicker pad to make it fit good.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1030.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I can do nickle sized groups at 100 yards, but others can do better with these guns.

20. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have the thumbhole stock in the 17 hmr, I agree, it's seems it's made for a kid.

on mine I think the comb is ok, I like the idea of an adjustable but plate.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

savage model 11 rifle without accutrigger