1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage Model 99 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by aggievet, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggievet

aggievet TS Member

I am hoping someone out there can give me some info on this gun. It belonged to my wife's late grandfather. I don't have the gun in my possession (yet). The fellow who does has sent me a photograph and the markings on the barrel (but no model number).

From the photograph, it is obviously a Savage Model 99 with a scope mounted (scope mount possibly covering up model number?). The barrel markings consist of the serial number and ".250 H.P." That brings up my question: What is .250 H.P.? Is it the same as .250-3000 Savage or is it something altogether different?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

If it says 250 I would say it is the 250-3000. They did chamber the guns in 22 Savage HiPower.

3. gordy h

gordy h Member

Get the book THE NINETY-NINE by Doug Murry, you can't amagine how meany there are.At least 33 1899 and 99 models.From 1899 to 1977, If you can't find the book, get the gun in front of you and maybe we can nail it down. I have the book. PM me Butch H

4. aggievet

aggievet TS Member

Butch H,

Amazon.com says the book is unavailable right now. If I haven't found a copy by the time I get the gun, I'll PM you. It will probably be a few months.

Thanks!

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

250 hp is the 250-3000 savage. There should be some markings on the left side of the barrel right in front of the receiver. Also, does it have a rotary magazine with the "rounds left" indicator on the left side of the receiver? Is the safety on the lever or on the tang. Need lots of information to identify this one.

6. aggievet

aggievet TS Member

Thanks for the info Savage99Stan. Sorry to revive this "old" thread, but I've been too busy to log on for the last several days. You have answered my main question about the caliber. It does have the "rounds left" indicator, but I can't tell about the safety. It also appears to be a take-down model - I can see a latch on the bottom of the forend. I've been looking at some info on savage99.com. If their data is correct, then according to the serial number on this gun, it was manufactured in 1915 or 1916.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

savage 99 barrel markings

savage 99 markings