1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage Model 24v Series D

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

I know they are not trap guns, but a lot of folks on here are into other types of guns as well, so I figured I'd ask.

I just traded for a Savage Model 24v Series D in .223 over 20ga. The metal is in very good shape and the case hardening on the receiver is still decent. The wood, not so much, the finish is peeling and flaking and there are a few dings. I know that these guns are collectible, so would refinishing the wood hurt the collectors value? From what I've been able to dig up the .223/20 combo was one of the more uncommon, but I've not been able to find any numbers. Anyone have a reference for how common the various caliber combinations were?

Thanks,

Joe

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've sold .22LR over 20ga. and .410 when I was in the gun business...someone else will weigh in here with more info I'm sure...

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

First came the Stevens 22/410, early with tenite, later with walnut. I prize my early tenite stocked model.

Next came the 22/410 Savage 24s, then 22/20 gauge in various models. The Savages changed sometime from the button on the right side of the receiver to a lever on top of the hammer. All the earlier ones had top levers to open.

Next, 22 mags and either 20 or 410, blued or case or silver receivers, monte carlos (typical Savage excesses) and then the good stuff.

17 hmr,222 Rem, 223 a little later, 30-30, 357 mag over 20 and even a few later on, I believe the Valmet frame, stuff up to 308 under 12 ga.

There were tons of the standard 22/410, 22/20, fewer of the magnums and still fewer of the centerfires with the 223 being one of the fewest.

I think most of the standard things posted on Gunbroker are a little to a lot high but if someone will pay it, I guess it is all right.

My little collection includes the tenite Stevens, a really rough 24DL in 22/20, a somewhat rare Camper's companion 22/20 with the cylinder 20" barrel and trapdoor butt, and a 222/20. I'd still like to find a 357/20 and a 22mag/20 or 410 but the prices are too high. Might have to wait for a widow to bring one into the shop--and I'll give her book price minus our markup.

The models with the upper barrel brazed full length to the shotgun barrel seem to be the most accurate but all have horrible triggers. Levers for opening range from top levers to side levers to buttons in front of the trigger guard.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as for refinish no wont matter on resale may help is it a factory 223 or a stamped 223 many were 222 rechambered have run across 2 that were redone and NOT marked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
savage 24 series d

savage 24v model d

savage 24v series
savage 24v series d value
savage 24vs series d
savage model 24v series d
savage model 24v series d 223 20ga value
what year was my stevens 24v series d made