1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage model 10 question ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

Savage model 10 question ??? Update: I bought it

A co-worker is selling a Savage model 10 for his brother in law.It is a blued bull barrel,Black synthetic stocked .308. NON Accu-trigger with a Weaver 6-18 power scope,Harris bi-pod. His asking price is $450.00

I use to shoot a Remington police sniper rifle equipped close to this and enjoyed it. ? How does this Savage compare to the 700 Remington ?

Can an Accu-trigger be added or is there something better?

Is this a good price ? I wasn't looking for this sort of gun but always like a good investment.

Also, Anything important to look for or at? Thanks,Richard

Updated, It has a Weaver 6-24 power scope w/ ? 30 to 400 yrd. ring on bell? Bullet drop compensator? No indication where it's made.

??? It came with Remington 150gr. Core-Lokt ammo and Federal Premium 168gr. Sierra BTHP ammo. Whats the best thing going now for target shooting. Thanks , Richard

2. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

The price seems resonable. The Savage non accu-trigger receivers are different
    than the accu-trigger receivers so the rifle cannot be retro-fitted with the Savage accu-trigger but aftermarket triggers are avaialable.

I don't want to start a Remingon 700 VS. Savage accuracy debate here but IMO
    the Savage centerfire rifles are the most accurate out of the box rifles made in America. The Savage rifles are not pretty but they do shoot.

Is the Weaver 6X-18X scope an El Paso Weaver or one of the new models?

Let the flames begin.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the barrel has low miles on it, yeah, it's a good deal, even if you have to install an aftermarket trigger.

While Remington does make some very accurate guns, what cheeses me is their spotty quality. You have a much better chance of getting an accurate rifle out of the box with Savage than Remington because of better quality control. It would tick me off no end to spend the extra money on a Remington and not get superior accuracy.

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I think for the dollar spent, Savage is your best bet. I am a long time Remington fan and have had several great M-700's. The last five years or so, Remington has went down hill in quality and the quality control seems that it is almost completely gone. We have returned several customers guns in the last few years and I now just cringe when somebody wants us to order a new Remington product, unknowing what will be wrong with the next one. Just last week I took a new 870 out of the box with a major problem---one that I should not discuss yet till I deal with Remington, which I am really dreading to do.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Install a Basix trigger. Far better than the accu trigger and costs around $90.

Can't ever go wrong with a Savage!

Jb

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe that Savage rifles with the laminated wooden stocks are far superior re. accuracy. This is due to the stock's bedding system, not due to the mechanicals of the gun. This may no longer be the case. I have an older laminated wooden stock Savage, single shot 220 Swift, and it really shoots!

Please anybody out there update my information if I am incorrect about Savage plastic synthetic stocks.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Sharpshooter supply triggers drop in easy and are very nice also.

I had the Model 12 BVSS wich was the pillared laminated stock and stainless barrel. It is more accurate than my Remington 700 bull barrel. The Remington came with the MarkX trigger which is very good, of course it cost twice the money.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some of the Savage Tupperware stocks have brass pillar bedding and shoot very good. they are a little flexy but you can get a Boyd thumbhole for a C note and you have it solved.

Rifle Basix hs 2 triggers available, the more expensive one goes down to 4 oz.

Most will prefer the 85 dollar one.

With a small investment and a little tinkering you can make a Savage into a real performer. Another plus is the ability to change calibers youself without any lathe work.

With the bipod and scope the price isn't bad, if you want to shot that caliber. Plus you don't have any shipping or FFL tomfoolery.

The 3 screw Savage trigger can be gotten down to 15 ounces or so with a simple modification. I would help you with that.

My Remingtons are getting dusty since I started playing with the Savages. I haven't brought myself to the point of selling yet but maybe instead of buying a new safe.........

Link provided to Savage Shooters site. They have a one dollar a month ($12/yr)fee if you want to play in the classifieds but there are a lot of interesting things without it.

HM

9. ouch

ouch Member

ttt

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tron is so right on. The accu trigger is a lot of hoop la. Get a rifle Basix trigger and you wont be sorry

11. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have two savages now, an old 110 in .243 that i have less the $300 invested in with a POS simmons scope on it. The other is a model 10ML in 50 cal, this muzzleloader has the accu-trigger and its smooth as glass. You take up that accutrigger and apply a bit of pressure and its gone. I ordered a new Savage 12 LPV DBM 26" fluted bull barrel in stainless today in .243. im shooting sub 1/2 MOA with my 110 and it doesnt have the accutrigger or a good scope. If you own Remington 700s and you operate the bolt on a savage one time you will sell every Remington you own. Good luck, I hope this doesnt ruffle the feathers of the Remington guys, im just a savage fan thru and thru!!! Rifle shooters and trapshooters have one thing in common.... If its not the most expensive, it cant possibly be the best!!!

12. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

Can't go wrong with a savage lower investment higher return should be vary accurate, if you clean the barrel well or lap it lightly along with rings you can really make it shoot, scope could be a v24 which is a 6-24 anywhere from 3 to 400.00. I shoot savage 6.5 creedmoore and 6.5 x 284 the remingtons run and hide including mine, have fun.

13. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

How do you like that 6.5 X 284? I seriously considered buying one over a .243.
    But with the availability of brass and bullets I opted for the .243.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Re Remington and its decline in quality. Remington and a couple of related companies were bought a few years ago by an invesment firm named Cerberus and the company has gone downhill ever since Cerberus bought them. Included in the sale to Cerberus was the company that makes the assault rifle used in the Connecticut school children slayings. Cerberus is reportedly now trying to sell the whole package.

Cerberus, for you mythology deprived readers, is also the name of the three-headed, snake-tailed dog that, in Greek mythology, guards the gates of Hades and keeps any residents therein from coming out and any live person from going in, obviously not your every day guard dog.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

And Winchester was bought by Browning and who owns Browning???What's left in our old USA???SJB

16. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Savage, Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Winchester for starters, and I think Colt is still American-owned.

17. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

Yoteslayer the 6.5 creedmore is alittle closer to 243 and I love my 243 and that ammo is available but 6.5x284 ammo is there also but there is no comparison beyond that except personal after that as those two 6.5s are amazing and the 243 is not in there class 6.5 x 284 has better balistics than even a 300 win mag at 1000yds with 140s than 300 200gr smk with 243 recoil or less. My creedmore we shoot paint balls at 200yds off golf tees and have it on film to prove it, as most can't belive until they see it, look them up you will be amazed. Thanks Thom

18. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I dont doubt that a bit. I need to find my pictures of the groups we were shooting with the .223s, we were shooting >2" groups at 400 with them. single hole groups all day at 200. And I was shooting a Rock River 24" Varmint, I couldnt beleive how accurate that gun was.

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't think winchester is american owned---I may be wrong but didn't browning buy them out?

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Yes winchester is owned by Browning and I beleive they are american made, ill check into though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.