1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 333 12 GA O/U won't fire 2nd barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ChrisMe, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisMe

ChrisMe TS Member

Savage 333 12 GA O/U won

I have a Savage model 333 mfg by Valmet 12 GA O/U and it is currently functioning like a single shot. When I fire it does not cycle over and allow me to fire the 2nd barrel until I reach down to the trigger and push the barrel selector button and then I can proceed. This condition came on over a period of a few weeks. At one point I removed the trigger assembly from the stock, sprayed with gun oil and it was okay but now it is a totally manual procedure.

Any ideas on where I should be looking?

Thanks
    Chris

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Is the safety going on or partially going on? I'm not sure if all of them are the same but I had one in my shop recently that had similar problems. At some time someone had tried to disable the automatic safety but with that design it has to function. I you pull the stock and watch it operate you may be able to see the problem.

3. ChrisMe

ChrisMe TS Member

CCW, we're getting close! the automatic safety seems to be working fine and I don't detect any sloppiness. I read elsewhere about only changing the barrel selector on this model when the gun is broken open. When I do this and select the under barrel first it cycles correctly and automatically allows me to use the over barrel. I did this successfully 3-4 times and then selected the over barrel first and it still requires me to manually select the under barrel after I fire the over barrel.

Strange?

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do Like CCW1911 says and look at it first hand, also see if the trigger assy is dragging on the stock, it may need to be relieved a little.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. ChrisMe

ChrisMe TS Member

I've got the stock off and the behavior is the same. I don't see anything different in the mechanics with under barrel first vs over barrel first. Unfortunately it only works correctly when the under barrel is selected as the first to fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.