1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage .308 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Saw an article for a .308 bolt action awhile back. Beleive it was made by Savage/ Springfield. Said accuracy was very good. Had a synthetic stock.It was a short action model. Does anybody know what the model number might be?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

110 possibly

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

A short action SAVAGE is usually a two digit number. If the model #110 is the long action, the corresponding short action would be model #10. I don't know the SAVAGE line up intimately but that is the generally how they do it. The beauty of the SAVAGE bolt actions is that they are a modular rifle.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A shooter at my local club just bought a heavy-barreled stainless/laminate Savage in .308 that puts five handloads into an inch - at 300 yards! The rifle is bone-stock and has an inexpensive BSA 24x scope on it.

Another shooter has one Savage long action and numerous barrels. Part of that modular beauty is the ability to change barrels easily - loosen the lock ring, insert a new barrel onto a headspace gauge and tighten the ring. It's almost as easy as changing barrels on a T/C Contender and he has barrels in .25-06, 6mm-284, 6mm-06, 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 that he interchanges from one day to the next on the same action. The bolt face is a separate piece from the bolt body, so you can change faces to match the cartridge.

I bought a Model 11 in .243 for my daughter. It was a "package" rifle and came with a Simmons 3-9x scope that is like looking through dirty glasses compared to a Leupold or other "better" scope. It still puts several handloads with bullets weighing between 60 and 100 grains into 3/4" at 100 yards and I honestly think the scope is costing it a quarter-inch of accuracy.

I own a lot of Remington Model 700s but I could see more Savages moving into my gun safe in the coming years.

Ed

5. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I have a savage .22 LR Mark II FV. This gun is accurate! Will shoot 3/8" at 50 yards no problemthe smallest group it has shot was a .177" at 50 yards. It will shoot around 3/4"-1.5" at 100 yards depending on the grade of ammo. It loves SK match as well as there subsonic hollowpoints. Both boxes are under $7.00 for 50.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Savage with the Accu Trigger and heavy barrel will pleasantly surprise you off the bench, especially if you load precision ammo. Put the best scope on it you can afford.

If you don't reload, now is the time to start. Competition grade ammo is over a buck a round. You can load better ammo than you can buy, and the savings is monumental. You only have to buy loading equipment once. To save money, you can have several 308 rifles. LOL

I have three. One Precision, one heavy barreled Tactical Rifle, and one game rifle. The game rifle, a Ruger All Weather, will shoot one half minute of angle. The heavy barrel Remington will shoot three-tenths, and the Browning A-Bolt II Heavy Barrel Boss will shoot two-tenths all day.

They all have essentially the same headspace, shoot the same primer, (WLR) powder charge (44.7 gr AA2520), bullet (168 Sierra Matchking), and two of them shoot the same ammo with the same OAL. One takes bullets seated .020" deeper. Almost total interchangeability from three different gunmakers!

Precision ammo will generally shoot the same group at 300 yards as factory ammo will at 100!

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I seem to remember a very thorough comparison with the Savage, Winchester, and Remington rifles, maybe in The Rifleman. The Savage won the contest in a number of ways including accuracy. The .308, IMOH, is the closest to one-gun-does-all for recoil, accuracy, availability of ammo on the shelf, and bullet choice. I don't have one so take my $.02 for what that's worth......Bob Dodd

8. slide action

BDodd, I tend to agree with you about the .308. It gives up very little to the 30-06 in velocity, but the recoil is much less. I prefer the bullets to run slightly over 160 grs. I tend to lean toward the ball powders because of limited case capacity. I used to shoot bench rest when my eyes were better. The only rifle I owned that was more accurate than my .308s was a bolt action 6.5 Swedish mauser I once had.

9. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Savage 10FP (the tactical version of the model 10) and the various 10 SS stainless versions are extremely accurate out of the box. The button rifled barrel, other barrel making techniques and the floating bolt head give them a great accuracy advantage. Even the plain Jane Savage 111 and Steven 200 models will almost always be capable of 1" groups from the box if the barrel is floated.

One of my friends has built a number of .308 Savages that shoot 1 hole groups. I also have a stable of Savages from .223 to 7mm Rem Mag that do very well.

These are some old pictures of targets from a couple of range sessions. The small bulls are 1" nearly all the groups represent different loads. The top is from a 22-250 on its first trip to the range, the second is one of my friends .308 10FP's and the bottom is a collection of a couple of .223's a 7mm rem mag and a .220 Swift.

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jagrdawger/?action=view┬Ąt=100_3310.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jagrdawger/?action=view&current=100_3311.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jagrdawger/?action=view&current=100_3313.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Slide, my older (ancient) brother had a custom .308 built for him. He took it on a guided Elk hunt once with two tyros from New York with matching .300 Weatherby mags, a seasoned(?) hunter with a 30.06, and the guide with his .06. All guns "should" have out performed the lowly .308. As it turned out, however, all the hunters, including the guide went home with animals and the brother's .308 took 4 of them (3 were 1 shot drops) when the other hunters couldn't perform one way or the other. Only the guide and the .308 took kills.....Bob Dodd

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Ruger All Weather game rifles, one in 308 and one in the grand old 30/06.

Although the 30/06 only uses about 5 grains more powder, and is heavier than the 308, it darned sure kicks more than the 308!

With bullets under 170 grains, with the difference in the weight and length of the gun compared to the negligible difference in power, the 308 wins.

Also, the 308 is almost always more accurate.

Lighter, more accurate, less recoil, about the same power and trajectory. DUH!

The only reason I have a 30/06 is because I have shot them for 50+ years. I do not live in bear or elk country. I will NOT shoot heavy bullets out of the Ought-Six. The 308 makes more sense.

If you load precision ammo in your heavy barreled rifle, folks will think you are lying when you talk about your groups!

I don't tell many folks about my Browning. It will literally stay in my pinky fingernail at 200 yards ALL DAY. This is with obsessively loaded Precision ammo. I have had it 12 years and have not fired any factory ammo through it.

All it has ever been fed is 168 gr Sierra Matchking bullets, and Accurate Arm's "Camp Perry" powder, 2520.

12. slide action

Bob, I have an old Air Force buddy(now retired and in the ministry) who lives out west. He has an old ancient Rem.788 in .308 that doesn't look like much, but is a deadly tack driver. He has routinely killed elk with the .308(most were one shot kills).

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The brother's beauty is a custom made rifle on a Sako action, med. heavy but fluted barrel, I've forgotten the scope, black composite stock, and all from the bench of Duane Wiebe who was a neighbor of ours a during high school years and grew to smithing fame with a multi year wait for his products. It's truly a piece to covet and very practical.....Bob Dodd

14. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have 2 Savage FP10 rifles in .223. both are pre accutrigger. 1 has a tasco mil dot on it and the other a BSA platnum 1/8 dot. Both will put 5 shots into a dime at 150 yards, same loads in either gun, 50 gr moly vmax behind 28 grs. of W748. Not a .308 but they are perfect for the 8k-10k p-dogs I shoot every year out here.
    You will not go wrong with a Savage rifle!

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think you are talking of the Savage/Stevens 200...not Springfield...its an economy model Savage 110 with a blind magazine, synthetic stock and minus the accutrigger...a very accurate but very inexpensive tack driver ...one of the best vales for the dollar out there...I think they can be had off gunbroker for under $300

16. slide action

Thanks Calvin, I beleive the model 200 IS what I'm after. A guy told me about this rifle a year or so ago. He bought one 2nd hand in a gun shop and LOVED it. Shot really good groups with a economy Bushnell 3X9 scope on it. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

17. CalvinMD

Buds gunshop has them on Gunbroker...269..most any caliber

18. slide action

Calvin, thanks again. I'll look it up!

19. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

for out of the box accuracy in a .308 the savage with the accu-trigger is awsome. make sure it has a good stock though,some of the stocks savage puts on there rifles will make even the best shooting actions feel like junk. I personaly chose a heavy barreled rem 700, but it will be far from "factory" when I am done with it. If you just want a good shooter a savage would be great.
    a 308 will out preform a 30-06 when bullet weights are under 170gr...... though 308 vs 30-06 is like #7.5 vs #8. people are set on either and wont admit any down sides to their choice.

never forget to have fun!

20. CalvinMD

I wish they made the Savage in 260 Rem...it really is turning out to be an awesome tack driver...Extreme long range target shooters are using it as are some swat unit snipers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.