1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 24F combo gun review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

A number of years ago a guy I worked with won a new Savage 24F 12ga/223 combo gun at DU banquet. Gave him $250 and it has been sitting in gun safe gathering dust. I practice shooting long range for Montana hunts and found the 24 triggers pretty heavy to pull. Not well suited for very accurate rifle shooting. I am hooked on hunting the local coyotes and was using a bolt action 270 which is over kill. I did a google search on improving trigger on this Savage and found a website with step by step details how to lighten it up but still be safe.

Had a spare 2-5 x 32 scope laying around and decided to have it mounted on gun. I sited the gun in yesterday and wow what a repeatable tack driver at 50 yards. It is a heavy gun so recoil was not too bad. With 3" chamber I plan to take a turkey in spring. I do have a question, does anybody know what choke tubes fit in these guns? Are these guns made by Valmet and distributed by Savage? Can’t wait to try it out after the deer season. Len

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They're good solid guns and 100% Savage (not Valmet). The ones I've owned have all been great shooters and VERY accurate.

3. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Over the years I have played with a lot of these in different combinations. I still have...22lr/410...223/12 and a model 389 in 222/12. The 22/410 sets in the gun cabinet by the sliding glass door and works for "pest". The 223/12 is one of the newer camo jobs and is the fall turkey gun, I had a gunsmith mill a base for a scope to fit on the 389 and use that one for fox hunting. I wish I would never have gotten rid of my 22lr/20 guage, it was a good squirrel gun.

They weren't as accurate as some guns but they all worked and worked well for their intended purpose.

Vern

4. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I have a 22 mag/20 ga i used when i was predator hunting, the rifle is very accurate. every not and then i open the safe and say should i sell it. one day

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sounds like a great combo. Use the 3" for them yotes when they are close or the occasional fox that checks you out.

Nick

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I had a 22/20 guage that was a pretty good shooter, once I recrowned the barrel. At first, I couldn't get it to group at all, but my gunsmith took one look, said it needed the crown cleaned up, did it, and itwas a tack driver. The trigger took some wearing in to smmoth out, but it wasn't terribly heavy. I wish I still had it for under the seat of the truck.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I had a .410/.22. My squirrel gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rifle shotgun combo savage 24f
savage 24f
savage 24f opinions
savage 24f review
savage combo review

savage model 389