1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 210F Slug Warrior Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I recently bought a ln Savage 210F Slug Warrior to use here in IL for deer season. I was wondering if any of you have this same deer "rifle" and what ammunition you have found that works the best. I tried Remington Ultra Copper Solids and was disappointed with the results. With good sabot slugs being $ 15.00/box of 5 I was hoping to save some money and shoulder pain with your experiences. I've heard the Hornady SST's are recommended in the new 220F but it has a different rifle twist than my older model. Thanks in advance, Randy Price

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I had one for a couple of years and I remember that I used Federal Premium sabots in possibly the Hydrashok type. Several guys I know are using the Hornady SST in different guns and are really happy with them.

3. FIB

FIB Member

Deercreek I was wondering if the SST's would work well in the 210F with it's 1:35 twist?

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I cannot answer, but you could contact tech services at Hornady and talk to them.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Deercreek thanks for the suggestion. I called Savage the other day and spoke to a lady in cs and she said Winchester 385 grain sabot slugs worked well BUT she said the information was old and that Savage no longer mfgd the 210F.

6. FIB

FIB Member

Anyone else own the 210F? I would really appreciate any feedback.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Try the brenneke Foster style. Much cheaper and work well in 1 in 35. Jeff

8. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Bigbore. I've also heard the Winchester BRI style sabot slugs shoot well in the "rifle" but I've also heard they don't expand well.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

FIB--I don't have the Savage but a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter with 1-34 rate of twist. You will not like the Winchester 385gr Slugs as they will simply beat the snot out of you and are not that impressive accuarcy wise(at least not out of my slug gun). I have tried alot of the slugs on the market and keep going back to the Hornady SST 300gr Sabot slugs. My second choice is the Lightfield Hybred Expansion 1 1/4oz Sabot slugs. The Hornady SST has much better accuarcy and has a much flatter trajectory. The Winchester 385 gr is a 3" shell where the Hornady and Lightfield are 2 3/4" shells. I will say the Lightfield Slugs put a hell of a thump on a whitetail. Its a good size chunk of lead that flattens out like a thick quarter.

Hornady SST 300gr 2 3/4"---2000fps at the muzzle

Lightfield 1 1/4oz 2 3/4"---1454fps at the muzzle

Winchester 385gr 3"---2000fps at the muzzle

I have also tested several other slugs on the market years ago when i first aquired the H&R Slug gun and most were less than impressive from my gun. Unfortunately, the best method for finding out what your gun loves to eat is to feed it.

grntitan_2009_250390.jpg

I did my annual pre deer season gun check Friday and shot this 4 shot 1.25" group at 100yds from a rest using the 300gr Hornady SST Sabot slugs. I have it roughly 2.5" high at 50yds which makes it almost dead zero at 150yds. The vast majority of deer i take are under 100yds. I can live with that accuracy for my hunting.

P.S. I also live and hunt in IL.
    grntitan_2009_250378.jpg

grntitan_2009_250374.jpg

10. John55

John55 Active Member

I also live/hunt in Illinois and have one of the new 220 models. A friend has the 12ga version, purchased a couple of years ago. We both went through every brand/type of slugs and the ONLY ones that shot acceptably well are the Remington Accu-Tips. In my own case, I called Savage to find out what worked best and was told the Remingtons shot best in the majority of the guns, with the Federal Barnes tipped expanders the other choice. Mine won't group the Federals under about 3" at 100yds but the Remingtons stay under 2" all the time. Everything else was more of a pattern than a group.
    Forgot to mention that another guy I know has one of the older versions in 12ga, guess it's the 210 like yours. He has always shot Lightfields in it and seems happy enough as he's taken several deer at 100+yds and hasn't missed any of them!

11. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Grntitan for ALL the information! I'll buy a couple boxes of the SST's and try them out. Thanks again! Randy Price

12. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks John, now I guess I'll have to try the Remington Accu-tips. Too many choices that are expensive to try! Thanks again, Randy Price

13. John55

John55 Active Member

I'd certainly try those Accu-Tips but I'd also try the Lightfields as they really hammer those deer! I mainly hunt with the Savage muzzle loader but really enjoy this little 20ga bolt gun, just hate the cost of feeding it.

14. grntitan

I haven't tried the Remington Accutip slugs. I have have read and heard good things about them though. I may just have to try them next year. Anyway, good luck to the both of you hunting this year.

Matt

15. FIB

FIB Member

The Accu-tips looked alot like the SST's, maybe Remington's answer to Hornady????

16. grntitan

They both have a plastic ballistic tip. That aides in accuracy much like the super accurate rifle rounds.

17. FIB

FIB Member

I'm going to buy a box of the SST's and try them out. I called Savage today and they recommended the Winchester 385 grain Partition Gold's. I also called
    Hornady and they said that they tested the SST's in a 210F with excellent results. I guess I'm going to have to spend some money and try a few out to see what my gun actually likes. Thanks again to all that replied. Randy Price

18. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Anyone care to comment on a 20 gauge slug gun! I have wanted a Winchester super X3, with a rifled barrel for a long time!!

19. John55

John55 Active Member

As I posted earlier in this thread, I have the Savage 220 in 20ga, it's the 1st 20ga slug gun I have owned or even shot. It suffers from the same troubles that 12ga versions do, ie lots of expensive slugs to try before finding the one that does the magic. The upside is that the gun recoils considerably less, and in my gun's case, weighs a lot less too. In fact, it feels/functions like any good bolt action rifle does. The slugs typically weigh around 260grs and velocity is similar to what the 12ga guns deliver, albeit with smaller/lighter projectiles. Friends of mine have given them to their wives and kids to use and many deer have fallen w/o problems, so I'm sure they are plenty adequate for our deer hunting. I hope to see for myself next weekend when the IL gun season opens.

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have the same gun and tried pretty much all the slugs in it.

For me, what worked the best was the Lightfield Hybrid 2 3/4".

Much better groups than even the more expensive slugs. The Brennekes didn't shoot well in it although they shoot great in my 11-87 that I take on deer drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1958 savage 110 rifle
best slugs for a 210

federal hydra shok slug in a savage model 210

remington accutip slug misfire
savage 210 shooting sst
savage 212 slug warrior black 12 gauge upc011356052100
savage model 210-f

what slugs works best in a savage 210