1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 116

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by REDD04, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Looking at a 30-06 Savage 116 with the Accu-trigger for a fowl weather deer rifle. What are your experiences with this gun. Accuracy, reliability, etc. The accu-trigger is very nice and adjusts down to 2.5 lbs. Wanted to know about the accuracy and also about recommended factory and reloads for white tail deer.

Thanks in advance,
    REDD

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with that one. The rifle has better accuracy potential than you will ever require.

As far a ammo, any of the 150-165 grain loads designed for thinner skinned game will be perfect. Federal's Fusion, Reminton CoreLok PSP come to mind. If you are loading your own the 165g Hornady SST is a great bullet for what you are doing as is the 130g Barnes TSX. There are about zillion great combinations that work with this caliber, no shortage of components or data at all.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My son has the medium barreled Savage Predator Hunter in 223 Rem. Very accurate.<br>
    <br>
    One quirk of the Accu-Trigger - you must pull straight back on it. If you apply pressure to the side, it can trip but not break the sear. Practice dry firing it and you'll see, and when you're in the field you won't have this issue. Given the light pull and crisp, clean break, it's a quirk that can be lived with since you simply need to pull the trigger properly.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hi Brian. How's your some doing?

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

You will have a hard time beating the accuracy of a Savage out of the box. I have a few and they rock.

The issue with the side pull on the accutrigger is part of the safety feature. If the blade in the center of the trigger is not depressed completely, the firing pin is restricted from falling to the primer when the rest of the trigger is pulled. You can see this in you jar one hard or just pull on the trigger without touching the blade. This makes them an excellent youth gun so they do not cause an accidental discharge if the fall and bang the gun (I know they should not be walking with a round in the chamber, but.....).

It works kind of like a 1911 grip safety.

6. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

I have this rifle in lefthanded .270 and love it,,,,very accurate,,

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Foul.

No problems with any Savage we've sold. I'm getting a 220 slug gun, 20 gauge based on the 110 action with accutrigger...dumping the pump and Ultra and going with a light, handy, ACCURATE, little slug gun.

For a company that was down to one gun line a few years ago, they have managed a great resurrection. Too bad GM, Chrysler can't say that.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are the only new rifle that I would buy these days. This is a company that REALLY has its $hit together.

9. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this will be my next deer rifle based on the positive reviews. I have never owned a Savage before, but that is about to change. Looking at the 116 with accu-trigger and a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 in Burris rings & bases. Should be a very versitile gun in the 30-06.

REDD

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The 30-06 is a great all around deer cartridge. I took many a deer with the "Green Box" Remington 180 Grain PSP Core Lokt loading. The 150 and 165 loadings are fine but I wanted the extra bullet weight to get to the vitals on a quartering shot.

For a variety of reasons, this was by far and away the most frequent presentation of the 20 plus deer I harvested in my hunting career.

If you hunt in open country, other cartridges and loadings may be superior but inside of 150 yards (a long shot in the Kentucky woods), the Remington 180 grain PSP Core Lokt was very effective for me.

At the range, the Remington "Green Box" ammo would consistently shoot within 1" at 100 yards in the 150 and 180 grain bullet weights.

I have heard many favorable comments about the Savage 110 series of rifles. They are highly accurate and an excellent value for the money. I would stay away from any model with a detachable magazine as (on some of the older models) they have a tendency not to feed a second shot.

Ed Ward

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My 116 is a 375H&H ...its tremendously accurate and powerful with the factory Hornady ammo and a touch better with Nosler when I can afford it...my hope is to go for a big bear one day and I know I'm well equipped along with my 450Marlin guide gun in the bush. I kept hoping Savage would adopt the 375 or 416 Ruger cartridges as I believe they are the most effecient giant killers offer today...oh well I can only hope so ..because if they do my Holland and Holland will be for sale

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have a .338 Win Mag stainless 116 with fluted barrel and muzzle brake, and a Leupold VX11 3x9. I used it in October for a horseback hunt in the Muskwa-Kechika in northern British Columbia, and was sadly surprised to discover the forward bedding screw had worked lose, creating a free flopping barrel, instead of a free floating barrel. Luckily, I met a hunter who had a Leatherman with a box of attachments, and was able to secure the screw. We came to the conclusion that the combination of cold weather (from freezing down to -25), the constant working in the scabbard between the horse and my leg, and no LocTite on the screw was the problem. Add LocTite, problem solved. The rifle is incredibly accurate, and has very manageable recoil with little or no muzzle jump with the muzzle brake. The trigger is a delight; I have no clue about the weight of pull, but it is not a noticable resistance, either at the range or in the bush.
    I think that you will have to look long and hard to find a rifle of comparable quality, accuracy, and weight, for any where near the same price. Buy it and hunt with it for years to come. As for the bullet weight in 30-06, I am a fan of using a medium weight bullet on deer. I have used mostly 150 grain in 308 and 180 grain bullets in 30-06, and have found them both capable of taking anything short of big (brown) bears with one shot carefully placed. I have taken a moose with one shot, using 180 grain Remington CorLokt in 308, and also black bears using the same round. Spend the money to find a load your rifle shoots well, load lots of them, and practice, practice, practice, until it becomes automatic muscle memory doing the shooting.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Barry, he's doing fine, LOL. Typo'd that big time. Fixed it.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a Savage 17 HMR heavy barrel and could not believe how accurate it is. Tron is right on. The Savage cannot be beat for the money

15. high 2

high 2 Member

I bought a Sako 25-06 a few years ago with a medium weght barrel. Around a $1000 rifle. I`ve always loaded my own ammo. I finally got a load that would shoot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Premium factory around 3-4 ". Did everything that could be done to that rifle to get it to shoot with no success. Called the factory rep back east to ask what to do next, his reply was a 3-4" inch group @ 100 yards was more than enough to kill a deer. There wasn`t anything that they would do. That will be the last Sako I`ll ever own. Don`t have a Savage but wouldn`t be afraid of one. I`ve never heard a bad report about Savage. Just because you spend big money doesn`t mean it shoots better. The 30-06 is a great all around cartridge.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

On the sako- Was it a new gun when purchased or a used gun? Just curious

I have a 375 HxH that is a true 1 inch gun

I have heard good thinks about Savage but dont have one- I have always found Remingtons to be about as bulletproof as you can find

my next rifle might be a savage

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. CalvinMD

That is very odd for a Sako...somehow you got one that was a stinker...My Sako FinnWolf is a levergun in 6mm that is a half inch gun with almost any factory ammo out there...send that gun to me and I'll give you a lil bit for it

18. high 2

high 2 Member

Brand new. I bedded full length, I floated the barrel. I lapped the bolt and had the muzzle recrowned, with no success. I bought the Sako because of what I had heard about their accuracy. A lot of custom builders use their actions. That`s why I was suprised when the rep laughed at me about 3" groups. I told him I could`ve bought 2 a-bolt Browning for the same price. No response. Lost me for a customer for life. A rifle like that in 25-06 should shoot gravel and hold a 1" group. I`ve got a 14" Contender pistol in 222 rem that I`ve shot .300" groups with. Larry

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

high 2:

A 3-4" inch group @ 100 yards IS more than enough to kill a deer. I would however, expect that - or better - from a decent shotgun slug gun.

sissy

20. CalvinMD

Very sad indeed...thank god thats not the norm from most gunmakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.