1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 111FXP3 300 Winchester Magnum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I am thinking about buying a Savage 111 FXP3 .300 Winchester Magnum for this years deer season. This will be my first time going out for deer. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this rifle good or bad. It comes with a scope already mounted and bore sighted and for the price I havent really found anything that compares. Please let me know what you guys think. JOhn B

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You simply CAN NOT beat a Savage for the money. That Accu-Trigger is a pretty decent set up, especially when you consider the price of that gun.

You can not go wrong!

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also think Savage rifles are very hard to beat. But unless those deer will be 300-plus yards away, you're buying too much cartridge. A 30-caliber magnum is very single-purpose and using it for anything but big game at a distance is overkill and will subject you to more recoil than you will enjoy. High recoil means no fun from the bench which leads to limited bench time which does not yield high familiarization with the rifle.

I made the same mistake by starting out with a Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag back in the mid-70s. I spent very little time with it from a bench because I didn't find it fun to shoot and eventually sold it. There is a .300 Rem Ultra Mag that I couldn't pass up buying in my safe but it's just there in case my son or I ever go hunting for elk.

You'll get many different opinions, but if I could have but one rifle, it would be a bolt-action .25-06. That cartridge can be handloaded to handle everything from woodchucks to mule deer and do it with very tolerable recoil. The largest cartridge I would want for deer hunting would be one of the .270s.

Ed

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Ditto what Ed said...unless you are going for mountain Mulies or those monsters in Canada with body weights of 250+ lbs. that are in another zip code, you would be way over gunned and destroying as much meat as you would be bringing home...if your heart is set on a big 30 cal mag you can handload it down to 308Win level and save yourself a beating on your shoulder, in your ears, and in your pocketbook,..30 Mag factory ammo will cost you $1.50 per big boom..the little Whitetails will thank you too

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have one in .243 and I drop them where they stand. The last one, I hit in the heart at 120 yards WHILE it was walking.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Traded an 1100 Sporting 28 in on a Savage 114 .30-06 back in September. Couldn't be happier with the rifle. Great trigger, and accurate. .300 Win Mag is more cartridge than you need. You want a .30 cal, get .30-06 or .308 Win.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.