1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage 10ML-II powder and bullet choice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I just picked up one of the smokeless powder Savage 10ML-II muzzleloaders and I was wondering what smokeless powder to use and what bullet to pair it with. I've heard from a few other shooters to use SR 4759 but I don't know what weight to start with, I was also told to use Hornady XTP bullets, but if anyone has had better luck with something else let me know.

2. Garry

Garry Active Member

Check out the URL above.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Use the XTPs with MMP sabots,..they handle the high pressure best and the velocity

4. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Everything you need to know is right here, Check it out! Butch

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

you will love it, mine shoots 1 - 1 /2 groups all the time, so far only shot it 40 times but have not had to clean it yet..lol..

6. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Just stick with the book loads and you will have one great deer killing machine.

BR1

7. Beni

Beni Member

I use vihtavorrie powder top end load,hornady 250 gr.xtp bullet, mmp high psi sabot,win 209 primer, great load out to about 250 yds. Remember to pull out your breech plug and vent liner and apply a light film of never sieze to the threads,very important. Also very important to scale weigh each load. Smokeless powder is loaded by weight not by volume have fun ....... beni

8. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks everyone I can't wait to get shooting, but should I use SR4759 or vihtavorrie powder? And which saboted bullet will it like 250 or 300gr?

9. John55

John55 Active Member

Myself and several friends have been using the Hornady 300gr SST bullets with great success. Typically more accurate than the XTPs and way better at longer ranges, 200+yds. We use 4759, N110 and N120 for powders with the loads making from 2200fps to a bit over 2300fps. Overall, I suggest staying with 300gr bullets as with this rifle there is plenty of velocity potential and no need to shoot lighter weight bullets. Your 4759 will work just fine.

10. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I weigh my loads out then pour the powder into an empty shotsheel hull, then place a wad on top. In the field all I have to do is pull the wad and powder can be poured right down the barrel. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
savage 10ml 11 blackhorn powder
savage 10ml loads

savage smokeless powder choices