1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sauer finish & restoration?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Can anyone here help?

I recently acquired a West German Sauer boxlock in pretty nice shape except.... The receiver appears to have a very flat dull grey finish that is streaked with a brighter shine. It hasn't been handled much at all. no shiny metal on receiver; blueing and bores are perfect. These streaks come off with a fingernail and have a light brown varnish appearance.

I have read a number of the posts on case color restoration and suspect it is the laquer finish that is coming off. Is that how they were finished?

Would the degreaser method followed by cold blue and tru oil be the way to spiff this dark knight up? Any better recommendations?

The engraving is plain stamped ducks and pheasants, extractors, DT, cheekpiece. My guess is the gun is 1950s but I don't know much about it.

Thanks!

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Bruce, congratulations on your find. You're on the right track. The old varnish can be removed and re-applied. You can get the correct varnish from Tony Galazan at CSMC and it does a wonderful job, properly applied.

best...mike

mikepoore_2008_270843.jpg

mikepoore_2008_270842.jpg

3. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

It's your shotgun, but I would think twice before taking cold blue to a Sauer. Most of their
    receivers were color case hardened.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Here's another photo. And please, for god's sake, listen to WZ and don't go anywhere near the Sauer with a bottle of that cold blue sh*t.

mikepoore_2008_270848.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.