1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satisfy my curiousity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

What are the differences and similarities between the following single barrel trap guns(in alphabetical order):

Alfermann

Bowen

Cole

Seitz

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

One similarity they have is they all go BOOMYBANG when you pull the trigger.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Similarities, Over priced.

Quality: Bowen, Seitz, Alfermann

Factory Service: Seitz, Bowen, Alfermann

Resale: Seitz, Bowen, Alfermann

Field service: Seitz, Bowen, Alfermann

One man's opinion. A friend has had initial problems with POI {pattern 100% rt.} on a Bowen. Never any real complaints from numerous acquaintences with Seitz's. I shot the first one to feel good to me at the GAH in '07. I vasilated trading my MX-10 combo but adding the difference and the price of a doubles gun was too much for a 67 yr. Cole's, I know of high end dealers will not accept as trades. Last one I saw used in a dealer was $4000. You lay down your $$$$ & take your chances.

John Thompson

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Bowen and Silver Seitz are both copies of the original Seitz (by Tom Seitz). The Bowen is probably the closest to the original. The Silver Seitz barrel hinging design is more conventional. The Alfermann has some similarities to the original Seitz with a trigger guard latch release. The Bowen and Silver Seitz have strikers vs firing pin and hammer of the Alfermann. All lock-times are exceptionally fast. All three guns are slightly on the heavy side...around 10 lbs., depending on the stock design and grade of wood. Any of the three will outlast several owners. Price wise, the Bowen and Silver Seitz range 12,000+, depending upon configuration and the Alfermann 9,000+. In 9 years and 120k rounds I've had two problems with the Alfermann. One, the cocking rod was too short and the other was the bolt bottoming causing the gun to open when fired. Both problems were handled immediately and without cost to me by the Alfermann's. I have no experience with the Cole. I've shot two Bowen's and several Silver Seitzes. IMHO the Alfermann feels more solid than the other two.

Buz

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mr. Newbius, sometimes they go boomybang when you release the trigger. Mike

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Having owed all three at one time or other The Alfermann is very nice but just to heavy for me 11.3 lb . The Silver Seitz I had was not to bad but still heavy 10.2 lb . The Bowen I have now is very lite 8.14 lb. The recoil on all three was about the same (very little) .

Lock Time was close to the same on all three. I shoot a release trigger and the ALfermann may have been the best release trigger . All of them have very good triggers . I did,t buy a high shooter when I bought the ALferman and did,t like that . My Seitz was 120% high and I like that The Bowen is 80/20 so I,m seeing alot of rib .

I can,t see any difference in any of the three maybe little things but that is all . Quality and Service is what you pay for and you get it .

ALF

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

They all look like Ljutics and they all have a different opener?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.