1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satin to Gloss on grade one Browning wood...??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying a forearm and a stock for a Browning from Midwest Gun Works.

The problem is the finish...one is Satin Matte and the other is a Gloss finish....both are grade 1 wood. MWG is willing to try and match the wood's color/stain as closely as possible....and are optimistic that they can get pretty close to a match.

Has anyone tried to polish the Satin Matte to a Gloss shine...in other words is there enough clear on the wood to achieve that ?

...or is there any other easy fix you may have done.

Thanks..Stan

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have successfully used mild automotive rubbing compound to bring a dull finish to a shine. Flitz polish works well, too. Remember the "mud" finish that Remington used on their shotguns in the 1980s? Here's what some Flitz will do to them. I'm sorry I don't have before and after shots of the same gun but these will give you the idea.

averaged_2008_0303468.jpg

averaged_2008_0303470.jpg

If you don't care which finish you have but just want them to match, a light rub with 0000 steel wool will take the gloss off. That's what Krieghoff recommends to restore factory stocks (ones with real wood, anyway) to their original semi-gloss finish when they become glossy from handling.

Ed

3. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Wow..Good looking wood on those autos...nice job. That's the look I am aiming for.

Thanks for the tip on going the other way with steel wool...I hadn't thought of trying that.

Best regards..Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning satin gloss finish care