1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satin nickel finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

Is it possible to do anything to a bright nickel finish to give it a more satin appearance?

Thanks

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If it is a true nickel finish, nickel electroplate over a copper base, no anything you do will leave it looking bad.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Cannot these be media blasted with something gentle at low air pressure? Artisans out there for an answer?

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

for an antique look, some plating shops have used a strong oxidizing solution that will turn the nickel black, then carfuly and lightly polish until the desired brushed look is achieved, then seal that with a clear coat, as the oxidation will quickly wear off.

I am not sure what the oxidizer is, or of any shop currently using it.

AL

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I have on occassion taken a nickeled gun, and to remove light scratches and camo little dings, run them through my bead-blast cabinet. I only use glass beads in it so it's not real aggressive like an aluminum oxide media. I do turn the pressure down.

Now, with that being said, you do risk the chance of removing the nickle or causing it to pop off. Each manufacturer has their tolerances for the type of nickle and it's thickness. The plating I offer does let me do some touch up.

If the gun is actually chrome, more aggressive media will be needed as the glass beads will just bounce off. Aggressive media equals material removal...BEWARE!!.

Doug Braker

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

So I was right. HA HA lol

7. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks, it sounds like I need to learn to live with the bright finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nickle finish for trap shooting