1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satellite Grands

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lisalong, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisalong

lisalong Member

Can anyone tell me why the premier shooting facility on the east coast, Elysburg, PA, does not host a satellite grand?

2. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Why should they? (serious question Lisa).

-dave

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

At one time they did offer a proposal to host a satellite Grand in early July. That would have been against several state shoots. I know the delegate that helped, with the aid of other delegates, to stop that move. As a result, Satellite Grands are prohibited from May to September. PA could make a move to replace NY for hosting a Fall satellite Grand. That would involve the Eastern Zone delegates.

Pat Ireland

4. lisalong

lisalong Member

New York has 2 satellite grands. PA is a much better facility good management. Why should NY have 2 and PA none? I'm not trying to cause controversy, I'm just curious. It doesn't make sense to me. I thought the ATA powers that be could explain it. Maybe the PA powers that be could explain it. Maybe PA doesn't want a satellite grand.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not having a satellite Grand makes perfect sense for PA. They don't need to have one when they already have great shoots there that don't cost $50 grand just for the privilege. Ohio just turned one down for the same reasons.

6. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Lisa,

I think Barry hit the nail on the head. New York has two because they *want* to have two and because they *need* to have that cache' of a Sat Grand in order to attract shooters. PA effectively has 3 satellite grand sized shoots in the Keystone Open, PA Grand, and Westy Hogans. The only thing that is different about them is the ATA trophy package (which costs $10,000+), All-American points, and the length. There is a resistance by PA management to hold shoots over 3 days in length, and I don't blame them considering there are already 22 days of major tournaments at Elysburg in the years we host the Eastern Zone shoot.

While I think it would be cool to host a Sat Grand at Elysburg (I believe it would instantly be the largest sat grand in the country), the reasons for not doing so make sense to me.

Elysburg management could pretty easily change the Keystone Open or the Westy Hogans into a Satellite Grand but then we'd have to worry about finding help during the school year and weather turning the shoot into a big money loser. Imagine paying out all that money for programs, trophies, and help for a 5 day shoot and the weather turning crappy as has happened during the Keystone Open?

7. lisalong

lisalong Member

I didn't realize it cost that much to have a satellite grand. Thanks for the education and knowing that, I suppose I could agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.