1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satellite Dish

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Maz, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maz

Maz TS Member

I am having a problem with my dish.I have it set to specs but still only get half the channels.(Dish Network)It seems on a rainy day i get all the channels.Icalled the local Rep. charged me $50 made a small adjustment to angle worked fine for 1 day then went back to half the channels.Maybe somebodies got some suggestions Thank You

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is a set up bar- tune the dish for maximum signal strength for your area' all you'll need is a good compass, the elevation is indicated on the dish it self. Most important, the pole for the dish has to be vertical/ You get your angles by plugging in your zipcode===check for obstructions--trees,etc.

Phil Berkowitz

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Call Dish tech support and they will help you troubleshoot the problem without any charge. There are no local reps, just independent installers. Their job is finished once the installation is complete. It's usually something simple but there's no way to troubleshoot with the limited info you provided.

I've used Dish for a long time and none of the sat dishes I've used have an elevation reading on them. In any case, it's unlikely that Maz's problem is caused by an improperly pointed dish unless the dish has been tampered with. A bad LNB is more likely IMO although there's no way to be sure given the limited info provided. It's simple enough to determine what satellites are being received and their signal strength so if Maz doesn't know how to do that, he needs to call tech support. They will be helpful. It's probably as simple as running a "check switch".

4. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I think John has it right. I had the same problems once and it was a bad LNB.

5. Maz

Maz TS Member

What is an LNB?

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

A LNB is a "Low-Noise Block downconverter". Each LNB receives the signal from one satellite and they are located at the end of the arm extending from the dish.

7. arend003

arend003 Member

had this problem years ago with Dish after 4 months of dealing with Dish and not getting the issue resolved I switched to Direct and have been happy ever since although Dish does have some attractive and cheaper channel packages.

8. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I needed a new receiver last summer so I could get HD channels . When the tech came out to deliver it he commented that I had the older style dish and wanted to know if I had issues with storms. I told him I did and that they didn't have to be very bad for me to lose signal. He promptly switched out my old dish with a new style and now I rarely lose signal. The newer dish's come with a much better mounting bracket which will help you not lose signal strength from bumping the dish with the mower and changing where it's pointed (that was part of my problem.)

P.S.
    Changing out my old dish for a newer on is NOT standard policy. The only reason the tech did this is because we hit it off talking about farming (we both have farms) and he said if anyone called to ask about the change over I had to say a tree fell on it LOL

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Changing out the dish so I could get HD was standard policy when I got an upgrade to a 722HD receiver from the old 322SD one. The installer installed the new 1000-2 dish with the mini LNBs and repointed the second 500 dish to pick up satellite 61.5 where the HD local channels are located. He said that the 1000-2 dish was required to get all 4 satellites needed. Also, he gave me the old 1000 dish so I could use it with the travel trailer.

Personally, I've never had much of a problem with losing signal in storms and can't tell the difference between the old LNBs and the new ones in that regard.

For those who travel, Dish came out with an automatic pointing dish which will pick up satellites 110,119 and 129. It works great and is so simple a cave man (ofrlibtard) could use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

24in satellite dish for a rainy day

maz satellite lnb