1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satelite TV Experts - Dish Differences

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Marco Polo, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I have DISH Network and would like to be able to take it when I go deer hunting to our hunting spot up north. <br>
    Will a Direct TV dish work with a Dish Network reciever ??? Someone brought me a Direct TV dish with 3 LLNB's( or whatever they call the little critters) <br>
    If not can it be modified ??

2. black lab

black lab TS Member

I am pretty sure that the Direct tv dish will work. You have to make sure the dish is pointing toward the Dish Net satelitte.

3. starship

starship TS Member

The dish (the antennae) will not make a difference to either dish or direct. All it does is pull down the signal and doesn't care what signal it is. The receiver is the thing that decodes the signal and gives you the picture.

4. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

The dish and the LNB's may work but if you don't have a subscription and the reciver for the company your dead.
    There are several types of dish setups for RV's some have to be setup when you stop, some need constant realigning and some have auto tuning.
    If you are setting up a dish at a remote location that is stationary, your reciver from home should work as long as you align it correctly and have not gone beyond the "network" your subscription is in. You are tied to a regional network if it is a home (not RV) subcription.

5. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I've had Dish Network Service for around 15 years now. I live in Northern Illinois and want to use the dish in Northern Wisconsin near Rice Lake. <br>
    I will probably clamp the dish to the deck railing facing the satelite and run coax to the dish from the receiver.

6. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Is this the reciver from home??? If not it won't work as the receiver has your ID programmed in it's memory.

7. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Yes its my home unit.

8. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

I'm no expert.....but it sounds like you should be OK. I would think the two locations are within the same regional coverage. As long as you can get it pointed correctly from Rice Lake....you're good to go.

9. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have a dish and travel everywhere. I take my my reciever from my bedroom @ home.If I'm in Fla. I still get the local chanels from Pittsburgh. I told Direct TV what I was doing and they gave me an exta dish for my trailor..Ziggy

10. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Yes that is true, you can also get it by using your remote and accessing the features...it will give you the settings on your screen.
    Of course you need to know how to use a compass!
    With DN it will also let you "tune" the dish in using an audio tone and an on screen signal strength meter.

11. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Using the DirecTV dish with a Dish receiver should work, however you may not be able to get all of the channels you normally do using the proper dish from your home.
    Most local channels are on a spotbeam, so if you leave the coverage area that serves your home area, you will not be able to get local channels.
    DirecTV 3LNB dish is made to see sats at 101,110,119.
    Echostar sats are at 110,119,129.

PG

12. alpine

alpine TS Member

Most of you people don't have a clue. The Sats are 22,500 miles out in space. There is no "Spot Beam", local chanels are recieved and displayed as authorized by the Sat company. A DTV dish and LNB will work with dish network. The reciever doesn't know if its in Illonios or Wisconson, nor does it care. the biggest problem is aligning the dish so it picks up the correct Sat. the correct alignment is in the reciever for DTV but I don't know if that is the case for dishnetwork. But the information for alignment is available on the net.

13. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

check http://www.lyngsat.com/echo7.html. Click on "P" next to transponder list for more detail. Sure looks like spot beam to me.
    PG

14. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

A better explanation of spot beams
    http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techmiscspotspotbeam.shtml
    PG

15. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Dish Network has the aiming for the satelite by zip code in the setup mode for the receiver. I haven't had to adjust it in 15 years, so I forgot about it. Just checked it for the zip in Wisc. and if the direct TV dish is good, I apparently will have no problems.

16. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

If there are spotbeams being utilized in your new location, the receiver will adjust automatically.

17. howie

howie Member

The dish per se makes no difference. As was pointed out above, the real key is in the set-top receiver/amplifier. While DirectTV and the DISH Network are very similar, they differ in one key respect. Each uses a different standard to broadcast the signals. DISH uses a standard called DVB-S (Direct Video Broadcast - Satellite) the principal, worldwide standard for satellite TV. Direct TV uses a proprietary variation of DVB-S. That means the set-top boxes are not inter operable between the systems -- a DISH box won't decode an display DirectTV and the other way around.

Each system uses several satellites to relay signals from each systems' primary up link site to users across the country. Depending on where you are determines which satellite you point your disk at. They both have web sites that can give you point angles depending on your geographic location (ZIP code). All the receivers work across the network, but must be programmed to work with the satellite(s)the dish is pointed at. That's why you have to call the service and have them program your receiver.

18. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

The things I have found when using my home Dish Network receiver with the single output (LNB) is that you only get some of the channels. Dish Net uses sats. 119 and 110. Most of the channels are on 119 and that that's the one that I use. I do not get the local channels when I move out of my "home" area. i.e. going to Arizona from Washington. One other thing that you have to do is after you get the antenna set on 119 with a good signal "in the green" is to do a "check switch", This will take the receiver off the multi switch that is used for the 2 sat. set-up for the home units. (Also remember to do it again when you hook it back up at home.") I use this quite often in when the auto system mounted on the top of the M/H won't work. Any questions em me @tmdukes@msn.com.
    Good Luck,
    Marion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.