1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Satelite Internet????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Does anyone have satelite internet, and can ya tell me the good and bad of it. Am tired of dial up, Thanks, Gne J.

2. Satch

Satch TS Member

sucks

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I'm tired of dial-up, too. Satellite is my only option, but the consensus I've found online is that it's expensive, slow and unreliable.

4. bkms

bkms Member

I have Wildblue satelite internet. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEM. You have to sign a one year contract for pure junk. Its worse than dialup, cost three times as much and is worthless 95% of the time, believe me you dont want it. Come june, my contract will run out and i will go back to dailup. WILDBLUE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to get service is like trying to find gold in your backyard and customer service is pathetic also. Once again, Wildblue sucks and dont waste your money anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob..........

5. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Tried running seven businesses from my remote office for two years using Hugxxxnet. In every regard, it was a joke. Bad weather, which is six months of the year here in southern Oregon, and you have no service. Downloads at 1/4 the advertised speed on a good day, with uploads at 5 KBPS, yes, 5 KBPS if at all. Most days went to dial-up by 9AM and stayed there all day.

They acknowledged that, even with their latest technology receivers and modem, I would never get acceptable service, but billed me anyway for the duration of the contract. All service calls took at least 1 hour, hosted by "Andy" or "Bill" in India.

Nurture, protect and love your dial-up service until your local provider strings some kind of DSL service to your remote location. It took me two years after the rest of my community to get DSL service from Frontier and I have been insane with joy ever since.

Modestly unhappy with my satellite experience, Mike Mann

6. deuce

deuce Member

Why not try Verizon internet service? It works anywhere your cell phone does. Faster than DSL. At $60.00 per month it's a bit pricy, but if you travel a lot it might be worth it. Anyway, it works for me.

Jim Blevins

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim may have a good idea there - my guru is semi-recommending going all cellular at home, dump the hard line for the phone and then cellular internet as well. The savings on the hard line phone and taxes will make up for a lot of the internet use; may even come out ahead and being able to go on-line anywhere your phone works sounds pretty handy.....Bob Dodd

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A wireless air card for a laptop makes a lot of sense if you have few other options. Just be sure your carrier has decent service in your area. Watch for plans that charge a premium for data/bandwidth usage. Sometimes the more expensive plan will cost less if you use it a lot.

The consensus is that Satellite usually sucks. It was almost a viable option at one time, but never made it to prime time. Look for other options.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't you guys have cable? HMB

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Not available.

11. trapshootin hippie

Cable???? Hell, I'm so far out in the sticks, ya gotta pipe sunlight in. Gotta go up on the hill to get cell phone to work. Guess we are stuck with dial up. Thanks for all the opinions.

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hippie....Where you live man?

13. RLAllen

RLAllen TS Member

Trapshootin Hippie. I also live where there is no cable and no cell service. I was so tired of dial-up that I went with Direct TV WildBlue and cannot be happier. Only problem occurs when the rain or snow becomes very heavy. Will lose the signal for a while, but has always came back. Night and day compared to dial-up. IMHO, worth the money. Rod Allen

14. trapshootin hippie

Hipshot, I live in deep East Texas, kinda down in the bottom land.

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I don't know where you are from or if you have the option of a local wireless service. We have that were I have my home and it's great. It's a broadband. They tell me it only reaches 12 miles so you have to know how far you are from their tower. I also have Verizon wireless for my laptop and I'm not really satisfied with it. I help to construct wind turbine generators and they are put where the wind blows not where the phones work all the time:) Sometimes we have a good signal and sometimes not but it's only 60 per month and it's better than having to get a land line installed and going that option. Our local broadband is 32 per month and you can get on all the internet you want. It's the berries if it's available in your area. Dan

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

got Hughes satelite fast and good 95 % of time snow on dish makes it sloooooow but other wise like it the installation is kind of micky mouse so you need to do some work first but i like it and the service so far is good rick

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

How's the deer hunting in your out of the way residents.

Merry Christmas to all.

Joe Woods/Ontario/Canada

18. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When I moved out in the country I was resigned to live with dial up service. Checked with Verizon and found out that I could get DSL service. It turns out that I am only 3 miles from a small town that has the hub for my phone service. I believe the current requirement is that you must be within 4 miles of a hub to get DSL. I would think that as technology advances they would be able to provide DSL service at greater than 4 miles from a hub.

I pay $17.99 per month for 740 Kbps service (133 Kbps upload). It is great!

Jim Skeel

19. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

I had 2-way satellite service from hughes from 2001 until last june. at first it was great. then the response and download speed just kept getting slower and slower. also you were limited to about 360mb download per day. that made downloading an iso image of a cd impossible.

Then last june, dsl became available for me, I couldn't get off the satellite fast enough!!!

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.