1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sanding on a Stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sammie, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammie

sammie TS Member

My question is: What can I do now to do the same thing without sanding my stock? Is an adjustable pad the answer? Appreciate any help. sam

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

Sam-I think you need an adjustable comb kit installed.-Jerald

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Sam;

The dimension you need increased is "cast at the comb". An adjustable comb would increase that dimension but would also create a protruding shoulder just below the movable comb, which could be a problem if it is very large.

The purpose of an adjustable pad, is to provide cast at the heel. It would not help move your eye farther out to align your eye with the rib.

Another possibility, which probably would not work, would be to have your stock bent, that is, to angle it to the outside with the use of heat. To move the comb very far outward however, would require a lot of bending, possibly more than is possible and may also move the recoil pad too far to the outside to fit the shooting form you use, i.e. your gun mount and stance.

Depending on how much wood you had to remove, that may be the best quick-fix available. Ideally, you would have a custom stock made in what is called the "offset" style. That describes a stock with a dogleg in it. The grip starts straight back and then jogs to the outside a little way followed by another jog, this time straight back. This design creates cast at the comb which is equal to the cast at the heel (recoil pad.)

Rollin

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I'd have an adjustable comb installation done. I agree with Rollin, if the comb needed to be moved 1/4" or more to the right, there would be an edge on the stock below the comb which could bother your cheek if left there. But I'd think the installer could taper/bevel that edge & refinish it, so it wouldn't be a bother and would look "stock." You might want to check with Ken Rucker & Greg Hissem, to see if they'd do that for you. I'll bet they've done it a lot. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.