1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sandals and MP3 players, your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Looking for your thoughts on this. I have some kids on my team who would like to shoot in sandals and some that would like to listen to music with their iPods while shooting. I can find no rules against doing either, please point me in the right direction if I’m wrong.

No way am I going to let them listen to music during practice but should I lighten up a little on the sandals and let them listen to music during our competitions?

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I've seen 27 yard shooters doing both

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

As long as they aren't being unsafe, what's the problem?

If in listening to music they are oblivious to their surroundings (and thus unsafe), I'd say no. Allow it on the condition that they use it responsibly. Sorta what they should be learning anway.

I'm 51 years old and I listen to music while shooting. And I've been known to wear sandals while shooting too.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I frequently wear sandals when shooting. I don't listen to my iPod though.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You have refered to them as your team which tells me you are there to help them shoot better and do so safely. The music may be a good thing for the individual adult out there trying to get into the zone but you need the students a bit more connected to what is going on with their coaching/shooting sessions. So I would say no to the music at this point for reasons of hearing protection and because it is probably a communication barrier.

The sandals shouldn't be a problem assuming you have decent trap fields to stand on. (no nasty rocks and weeds)

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rich Barker brings up a good point. Ear buds aren't proper hearing protection.

Tell them they have to have either custom molded electronic ear plugs or use muffs along with ear buds. You're responsible for their safety and well-being, and that requirement would be along those lines.

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks for the input guys.

wolfram, as I said in my OP, I do not plan to allow the kids to use their MP3 players during practice/coaching sessions but I'm kicking about the idea of letting them uses their MP3 players during competitions. Its not like I can talk to them anyway and these are kids who are shooting in the 90's, not beginners.

As for the sandals, I had always believed in the rule "good shoes, good foundation" but when I see Dave Shaeffer out there breaking bird after bird in sandals it makes you wonder is its just better to just be comfortable on the line.

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have them do anything in competition that they haven't done in practice.

Practice is just the time/place for them to see if using music is a distraction or a help.

After all, I doubt that you're shouting instructions at them while they are shooting a round. Any talking you are doing with them should be after they've shot when they can take their plugs out or their muffs off. If not, most mp3 players should have a mute button they can use to listen with their "ears" on. They shouldn't have the music so loud that they can't hear the scorer's call anyway.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I don't own either.....wouldn't know what to do with an MP3 player and the public don't nead to see my toes!

10. 7771

7771 Active Member

My little sister is 11 she shoots in flip flops and before she shoots she is listening to music and always chewing gum and she seems to be comfortable and stays safe and focused.. i guess its all in what's comfortable to you.
    Tommy

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just imo, if they're shooting in the 90's and you're trying to dictate footwear...you're waaaaayyyyy overthinking this.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

ljutic73, guarding your virtue from the dirty old trapshooters?

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Depends on their level of maturity and focus on the sport. You're the coach and you set the rules for your team. If they don't want to follow your direction, tell them and their parents, that if they don't like it then they should find another team. Frankly, I don't like bugs, parents or kids crawling on my toes. Barry, 25 year little league coach.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have always viewed flip flops and sandals as silly footwear. Part of the People of Walmart dress code?.

I dated a younger lady who insisted I get a pair of sandals as they were so "cool". Which I did; as I knew that pleasing her would result in benefits. I now have neither the lady or the sandals. I do not miss the sandals but I miss the benefits.

Don Verna

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don, You hurt my feelings. I shoot in sandals all summer, including ATA. Feels better than sweaty feet in July and August, and I can get a good "toe hold" for handicap.

Rosey

16. laura!

laura! Member

hi Roger,

Haven't been on this site in a long time. When I saw your thread I had to scratch my head and remember my password.

Steve & I talked about the whole sandals & mp3 player thing on the way home last wednesday. The only potential problem we could see with sandals (flip flops) is if someone from behind steps on the back of the flip flops of someone carrying a gun and trips them. The gun wouldn't (better not be!) loaded, since they are walking, but it could result in a banged up gun. Personally, I shoot in flip flops as soon as weather permits, but I don't think footwear has any effect on scores and therefor if you want the kids to wear shoes, they'll just have to suck it up.

For some shooters, listening to music helps with their mental game and does have an effect on their scores. I hope the kids can continue to use the mp3 players in competition, but I don't think the mp3 players should be allowed during team practice. If the kids only listened to the music while on the line and did not need any instructions while shooting, that would probably be OK. But if they are listening to music during the entire team practice, then they aren't paying attention and they are isolating themselves from the other kids. The friendships that are formed in the team are just as important as learning gun safety and trap shooting.

We will support whatever you decide,

Laura Snyder

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Both items look good at your Rainbow Coalition meetings...

Curt

18. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Laura, these kids are good and if I have a team rule that could prevent a kid from shooting their best, then I want to take a second look at why I have that rule in place. If its because of safety or some other good reason that makes since then I'll stick with the rule. If it's a rule just because it's been that way for years then I'm willing to revisit the rule.

I can find nothing prohibiting either in the ATA rule book, the SCTP handbook, or the AIM handbook. Heck, it may even help enforce one of the SCTP rules, no resting your barrel on your foot.

Like I said, I'm not going to let the kids lessen to their music while I trying to coach them but when they are shooting for score I don't see a problem. As for the sandals, I'm not seeing a problem.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Careful with the music thing.

I don't think many new shooters will have acceptable hearing protection with MP3 option, as in Pro Ears or custom earbuds which are both pricey.

You could be liable for their hearing loss if you don't insist on some kind of rated hearing protection. If plain earbuds are used, muffs over the top might help if the wire doesn't let sound in.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.