1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sand bagging ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How common is sandbaggin' in trap ?

Twenty-five plus years ago in IHMSA pistol competition sandbaggin' was common.

It seemed like the national matches were won with scores in the lower classes (C, B, A, AA) which would have been competitive in AAA class.

In trap, do all the shooters rise to the occasion at the national matches and shoot better than they ever have before ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a good one. Winter + this subject. Going to get my popcorn and and BL.

Matt

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Hold it. Let me get some popcorn.

<a href="http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php" title="Smiley">[​IMG]</a>

Ok, I'm ready.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's not "Sandbagging", merely good "Target Management".

I do however prefer 7-1/2's over 8's.

Curt

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

been a while target management is a great topic have some fun. Tom in KY

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

*cough* the trick is to have a LOT of really BAD registered practice targets to offset your 99% scores during shoots *cough*

but yeah i bet there is a ton of "target management" going on which is why i hate seeing class D winning scores with a 98x100. people can have a good day, but gimme' a break.

7. grntitan

There is a local guy i see at shoots around my area and he openly brags about his target management. Most that know him know how he is. He just dooesn't realize how stupid he appears. Anyone purposely practicing target management i.e. Sandbagging are plain and simple cheaters. I'm out to shoot my best possible every time i shoot. I'm to competitive natured. I also have a conscious.

Matt

8. grntitan

Someone bump grnberetcj(Curt). His record is skipping.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I think I got it Matt?/ Damn serious flinch!!

Curt

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Come to North Carolina - we have a trophy just for you:)

FRedmon

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

It must really suck when you try to miss and hit the bird. Damn flinch.

Don Verna

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

If you think you can go to a shoot with at least 100 shooters (probably less) and shoot your average (class) and win, you haven't looked at the scoreboards lately. Just doesn't happen. Shoot in the cold and rain all spring and then when it's warmer the scores are well above your average. Have you sandbagged?? Don't think so, just the outside sport we enjoy. Also, if you shoot mostly at lousy set targets, at lousy clubs, against lousy backgrounds, when you go to a club with a great background, well set targets, and a well ran shoot, your scores will be well higher. Again, not sandbagging, just the facts of an average from one club to another. Today, when we are shooting for pop can trophies, it isn't worth the cost of shells to try to manipulate the averages. And, Kentucky does have a very large amount of very good short yardage shooters!!!

Tomas

13. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I know of one sadbagger(not a spelling error this time) and I realy don't know why he does it. He is a senior vet and probaly won't shoot much longer, you would think he would want to break all the targets he can.
    I also think the ATA could end a lot of sandbagging by requiring,(at
    the bigger shoots)that if you want to shoot for money you shoot from at least the 25. I feel this would take away the temptation to stay on the 20 yard line and still allow the beginner or vet to have a great day and win a trophy.John Moore

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

In ten years of ATA shooting I can't honestly say that I've ever seen one of the elusive "sandbaggers".

John C. Saubak

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's a fig newton of your imagination.

Don

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gslam: Glad to see you are a perfect person. You just slammed all ATA shooters and you oh perfect person are full of BS. You oviously hang out with the wrong people or gun clubs. But did your father tell you that it is easier to whine then to practce getting more competitive??

Don

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Its in trap shooting and no one wants to admitt it. mLook at the scores of D and C class shootes at big shoots. They shouldn't be scoring 98 99 and 100's.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

At a large shoot in the lower classes you have to shoot a score that's at least two classes above your average, that's just a fact. So is this evidence of "sandbagging" or is it the "every now and then a blind squirrel finds an acorn" factor. Keep in mind that at large shoots there's a LOT of blind squirrels out there?

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I normally shoot several 100 straight but have been sandbaggin' for the last 10 years, just waiting for my big moment.

20. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i mean i,m on a roll here they had me shooting A class when i first started shooting and i,m breaking mid 90,s and now i,m shooting a class with my friend that usually outshoot me but they are still in c class or even d class when it comes to the state shoots or bigger tournament

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.