1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sand baggers in trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tekyn gold, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

Do we have sand baggers in trap shooting.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes! Alot of them.......although I don't understand WHY, unless money is involved!

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have seen some serious stuff around the trap and skeet fields but I have never actually seen anyone walking around wearing a sand bag ... some have been ugly enough that they should be wearing a sand bag but I have yet to see an actual sandbagger.

4. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I was at a Turkey shoot about a month ago which is suppose to be a fun event. There were 4 different classes for shooters, beginner, intermediate, and two pro classes which unfortuantly I am not yet skilled enough to shoot. I observed 4 A and AA shooters start at the beginners and intermeiat lines. There was one confrontation with an irate elderly gentlemen who called one of the shooters up. Now, this for a Turkey. I also feel the club putting it on should have said something as they know who and what class their members should enter. Back to the original thread, if they woould do this for a turkey what------
    Dan

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sometimes it aint about money and it aint about no stupid turkey or cheap ass medal or ribbon of some sort but instead it is just about ego! They have nothing else in life other than there own ego and the only way they can boost there pathetic ego is from what they can accomplish in there pathetic lives.

When they sandbag and win they feel good about there accomplishment ... to bad they had to sandbag to do it but if they actually shot against those that they should be competing with they would most likely commit suicide from getting there ego wacked all the time ... dont think of them or it as sandbagging but think of it or them as a form of suicide prevention.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Lumper you beat me to it. You said it all. There are people who if you look at the scores at small shoots will have low scores to stay in lower classes like D class and C class but when they get to big shoots they shoot in D or C class 98 99 100. The ATA is aware of this problem buit wish to do anything about it. Its very simple to stop it. All they have to do is look back at the small shoots scores and look at the scores. If the score are all in the 70 80 and then in the big shoots 100 then you know you have a sandbagger. They will not stop this from going on. What are they just to lazy or stupid to do something.

7. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

It has been MY observation, that there are "meat" shooters who can do well on a given day at a meat shoot, but couldn't break a 90 from the 20 if they had to. And there are conversely, those who can break a 90 or more from the 27, but when backed way off the concrete,"crash and burn". And of course, there are those who can do well at ANY distance and "kick your butt". Practice X3 is the key as my friend Ikey has said.....merlyn.......ps-- even a "blind hog" finds an acorn once in a while.......LOL

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Seems to me, some are concerned with sandbaggers antics while some don't think they matter or exist. Why have the "known ability" rule, what's that about? How about an automatic punch for winning a few hundred bucks when it more than likely cost the guy thousands to get there? Evidently those writing the rules are concerned or it wouldn't be in the rule book? Rules that apply to cheating shouldn't be used to hammer the average shooter having a lucky day. If it's a repeated habit, then hammer the guilty on his history record, not some lucky shooter breaking a lucky 50. Also, those class shooters always rising to the top of their game at state, zone and other bigger shoots? They should be automatically advanced to the next higher class at such shoots once they've won there in my opinion. So, who's really concerned? Hap

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

So Hap, what do you propose we do with the under-handicapped "pro" shooters who win events and money with no penalty? ATA treats them like primadonnas. Kinda like sandbagging by the rules!!

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hap ... you keep referring to it as a rule book but rules are made to be followed and that book is actually just a book of guidelines that are up to the interpretation of those who read it.

11. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

It is hard to get new shooter in the sport when they see D shooter hitting 96 97 98 99 or 100

12. Hap MecTweaks

oleolliedawg, since we have no "pros", the gifted shooter's should endure the same as any handicap shooter does, he should be awarded extra yardage. In the past, two yards at a time was ample for the guns and ammunitions available at the time. With todays target settings, two yards won't do it, it more than likely have to be 34 yards to see the differences take effect. Better guns, better ammo, more dedicated shooters shooting more targets per year than the average shooter does in 10 years in one year? It's no wonder those shooters are at the top of their game, they paid their dues, at the max.

Lumper, you are correct is some circumstances, interpretations are doled out accordingly while some are hard and fast rules. Hap

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

No system will ever be perfect, even if they change the current system there will be faults in the next system and the next and the next and ... well it will never be perfect.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are sandbaggers or people who hold back in every sport known to man ... If you get good enough to beat them they are no longer a problem for you or something you should be concerned with, then they become someone slses problem ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Questor

Questor TS Member

Dumb question, but isn't there a classification system that has shooters of like ability shooting with their peers? That's the way it is in pistol games. If, for example, a bullseye master shot with the sharpshooters and won a match, the NRA would know because of his classification, and that would be grounds for disqualification.

I've heard of sandbagging in trap, but have not seen it in pistol games I'm familiar with.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I watched a guy at a club event, (turkey shoot) hide behind a tree, and when 4 women and kids signed up on a squad he ran up and got the last position.

Sandbagger is too good a word.

HM

17. starship

starship TS Member

I couldn't agree more with coyote268.

Recent Turkey shoot in our area (first one I've ever been to), I was in the intermediate class and I actually managed to run them on the first round. Got into a shoot-off with another shooter. As he shot before me during the round it was said that he could pick the yardage for the shoot-off. He went back 28yds!

I haven't been at this game very long so and didn't have right choke, shells or anywhere near the ability needed. I had never shot farther back than 25. Needless to say no turkey for me.

I saw him do this at least one other time. Later I saw him shooting with the advanced group in one of their games. Being rather new it really put a damper on my enjoyment of a "fun" shoot.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ahhh Grasshopper Questor ... you have yet to see and have much to learn of this trap shooting sport.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Drew, remember, whether or not a shooter plays any money options, a portion goes directly into added monies that's doled out by ATA? If you shoot a reg. shoot, you're contributing to that pot, no? Hap

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I don't think we made it 60 days since the last "sand bagging" discussion.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.