1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

San Pedro CA.-mid 60s-Kids NRA Marksmanship Pgm?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big joe, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

I made it all the way to "Sharpshooter 4th bar" ..
    Do any of the geezers out there remember being in a NRA rifle club in the 60s?
    I was 12 in 1965 and every Saturday my dad would drive me out to the L.A.P.D
    range and an old gal (I thought she was old at the time) named Ann Frickman
    would teach us fellows gun safety and marksmanship with our 22s .
    I had a Remington 521T (still have it) at the time and had a lot of fun.

I Just wondered how many of the Trapshooters.com folks had similar experiences.
    Perhaps someone on here shot with me back then? Ann was a great teacher and
    spent her own money on used trophys for us kids and had them re-engraved.
    But damm, what a stickler for safety. I remember one poor fellow walked on
    the range with his bolt on his 22 closed. She backed him into a corner and
    chewed him just like a marine D.I.

Have fun

Joe

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Big Joe...at that time, I lived, and still live, in the "Elysian Heights" area of Los Angeles next to a park and near Dodger Stadium etc. Of course the police academy is within a big walking distance. At early as age 12 or so, I recall parents dropping off myself and a friend to shoot at that range (rifle) for a buck target fee!!! It was neat walking underground to set up targets etc. A real range. As a 17 year old, I recall arriving there with a friend and two guns, cased, of course...one of which was a Browning Hi Power pistol. We again were welcomed and had a good time punching paper. How times have changed...no more civilian use of that range; among other "problems", is that the LAPD is just to busy training their own. Oh well..so was that the range you visited?

3. big joe

big joe Member

Hi Cango2 Yup times sure have changed. I remember .22 long rifle standard
    velocity shells being 50 cents at the range masters office. It cost a dollar
    to use the range. The range I went to was near San Pedro by the waterfront.

Does anyone remember A gun safety comic book that I believe the NRA put out?
    Old "Miss Ann" our instructor passed them out to all us kids.

Joe

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There was a time when inorder to get Federal funding to build a school it had to have a rifle range. HMB

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

In 1950 Burlington, Vt, our high school started a rifle team. We shot at the National Guard Armory. The DCM supplied the .22 rifles and ammo.

Those were the good old days.

6. BWhitten

BWhitten TS Member

Joe - I lived up the hill on Palos Verdes and my dad and I went to the range in the early 80's and Ann Frickman was still there. I agree she was a stickler on safety. I was yelled at a couple of times that I remember, but it was a great experience and I learned a lot from here. I would get my certificates and was up to Sharpshooter before we moved. Too bad its all private now, very few rifle ranges in So Cal anymore without driving a few hours out of town. Great memories and I still have my certs!

7. big joe

big joe Member

BWhitten.....Neat to hear of someone else that shot there! Too bad they closed the place to the public. Just wondered what kind of rifle you shot? Great memories indeed!

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.