1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Shotgun Sports/Miramar CLOSED

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lbshootin, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

FROM THE WEBSITE:

At the direction of the United States Marine Corps,
    SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports has ceased shooting activities until further notice. SDSSA President Robert Keefe is preparing a statement to be posted on this site regarding this matter.
    In the course of our lease discussions with MCAS Miramar, lead shot was found outside our lease area. Based on those findings, SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports Association has been ordered by MCAS Miramar to immediately cease all shooting activities until we submit a plan to assure that SDSSA use of the property is in accordance with our lease. We are actively pursuing all avenues to address and correct this problem of lead outside our lease area. Although all shooting activities have been ordered to cease, our gates are still open. SDSSA would like to apologize for the interruption of a popular sport that our membership, active and retired military and other guests enjoy .

Robert Keefe , President
    SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports Association

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sh__

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A serious question. Why should other gunowners, shooters and hunters care one whit about the closing of shotgun ranges when many trapshooters and skeet shooters not only will not fully support the Second Amendment for all gunowners, but also advocate the banning of certain classes of firearms and even of certain kinds of hunting?<br>

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Now that's how you win friends and influence people. Good job Brian. jRM

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

This was bound to happen at Miramar. They (Marines) have been trying to close it since they took over from the Navy. I'm just surprised it took so long for them to find an excuse.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    JRM, you completely missed the point. The shotgun sports community as a whole has failed miserably to fully support the Second Amendment, making invalid claims like the Second Amendment pertains only to "sporting" and "hunting" guns (even though those words appear nowhere in the amendment). This has caused a lot of anger amongst those who not only have to fight the anti-gunners, but who also have to fight "sportsmen" in their own ranks. The anti-gunners have used this to drive a wedge between gun owners who should be united on the Second Amendment. Instead, there are a good many other gunowners who have thrown in the towel and couldn't care less anymore what happens to shotgunners. Your response is prima facia evidence that you do not understand the divisiveness that is weakening a united stance on the Second Amendment. This is why I am trying to educate both sides to form a united front.<br>
    <br>
    So, back to the point. When shotgunners fail to support other gun owners, and even advocate the banning of their firearms or activities, why should shotgunners except support in return? I've even heard some say that it might be a "good thing" for shotgunners to have their ranges closed or be forced to shoot steel shot through their expensive trap guns, in response to some Fudds who say semi-autos should all be banned. That we've reached this point says there is a serious problem with lack of unity that needs to be addressed.<br>
    <br>
    Do you understand the problem now?

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Brian, I didn't miss anything. As a contributor to this site since its inception I have heard your rants for years. I have even supported your positions against those who felt assault (so called) weapons had no place in the hands of civilians. But, as a shotgunner (I have many other firearms as well) I resent your continued attacks on our ranks. You are afterall, doing exactly what you condemn. Nuff said. Jim

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I hope things work out at Mirimar. Although I am from De, I have been stuck out SD way for business and taking some time and shooting at that club was great fun. I really hope the mess is straightened out and shooting there resumes/continues.

To other shotgunners who are sitting on the sidelines, letting others carry the water, I hope this serves as a wake-up call. Whether you have a gun for protection, sport, hunting or collecting, we all need to put our shoulder to the wheel or it will fade away - either through legislation or admin bs (what is occuring in SD).

Join a pro gun group, write letters, stay aware and active

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Your both way off topic! The question should be what can be done to make sure they are in compliance with the lease and what remediation if any is needed. This may be a procedural problem. You know Jar heads are sticklers for procedure.

I would question the size of the shot outside the area it's concentrations I would ask for a sample and I would try to ascertain if any hunting legal or otherwise may have contributed to the shot outside the lease area.

Miramar The Marine Corps Air Station and Fighter town USA home to The NAVY's Top Gun Program is an air base. Almost every Airport and especialy military bases have an avian control program. Are the shooters for the birds on the base using Steel? If so for how long?

There are far too many questions raised by this to have any answer with out further investigation. It sounds like the Marines want compliance to the lease terms and are not seeking to permanently close the range.

I would contact a lead reclamation company to survey the sight. If you have problems I have some contacts with a company that does remediation on military bases in the North East and they are in the process of gearing up for lead remediation on shotgun ranges if there are further problems I would be happy to help.
    Joe Goldberg

10. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

The area that has been closed, was utilized predominately as an International Bunker range and Olympic Skeet. There is no hunting allowed on the facility, nor on the base itself. The base is surrounded by some residences, both onbase housing and off base. But the majority of the land surrounding the base is business related. It is extremely doubtful that any shot bigger that 7 1/2, maybe a very, very small percentage of 7s or 6s. The club states on all fields that no shot bigger than 7 1/2 may be used. Anything bigger would result in immediate suspension of shooting! This afterall, has been the premier shotgun shooting facility in San Diego county for over 40 years! Bunker fields, sheet fields, sporting clays and of course American TRAP!
    LB

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

How do you think the shot ended up outside of the designated fall zone?
    Joe

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The fall zone has always been a bit unrealistic. As well, shooters are using hotter loads, especially the sporting clays shooters. Yes there is lead from the range beyond the fences there.

Point is, the range has been in use for over 30 years. It is not near any housing or businesses. It is not causing any problems. It is important to the community and, did I mention, it is on a military base. Military personal can shoot for free. That's right, free. The lead outside the "lease" has been there for many years (though no doubt it is being added to). Any "environmental damage" is long since done and is not getting any worse.

The marines shut down a shooting range?? They don't want their soldiers to be able to shoot trap, skeet, sporting and other clays, for FREE!!? Are you kidding me? Anybody know a general?

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'm not entirely sure why you are being closed. The information is vague. If you have problems and need help I'm happy to offer my assistance. My first question is what are the Marines asking from the gun club and is it reasonable and why hasn't it been done? Second is have you called The NRA they should be able to help through their board member Lt Col Oliver North USMC ret. Oliver is a shotgunner and shoots with one of my shooting groups. If the NRA won't help let me know and I will have some one contact him.
    Joe

14. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Any idea if the club will be able to host the ATA shoot on 11/1 & 2? If not where might that shoot be hosted?

15. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

BUddy, The best bet is to call the range Tuesday (it is always closed on Mondays)..I am sure that the manager (Lane) will be able to field your questions about future shoots..The closest business to the range is a gravel and rock quarry (about 1/4 mile behind the parking lot of the range). Shooters actually face the runways (about a mile beyond the leased area boundry fence). There is NOTHING close that would be impacted by lead. It is actually doubtful that even water runoff would impact the area! (it hasn't rained in about a year). As their website states, the issue is still under review as the lease negoations are ongoing.

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I would like to ask the commanding officer of the base a simple straight forward question: Just who do you think you are fighting for? Because if it isn't the ordinary Americans who are engaging in clean, competitive, American spirit shooting sports, then perhaps you need to explain to the citizenry who support you exactly who it IS that you fight for. Doug Scott

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

So write him a letter then Doug. See if he responds. Jake

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

The problem as I have been told is that they found shot on a runway. Shot and jets don't mix. What has changed after all these years to cause the problem is unknown. I suspect that the solution is going to be some type of shot curtain. Sorry to say that there is a high likelihood that shot curtains will be part of all clubs before long. They are now almost standard in europe. One positive feature is that curtains will improve backgrounds.

Tom

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I am curious if the lead is beyond the fence how far away is the runway?

Having grown up on the Pomona Navel Air station now the Federal Aviation Administration Experimental Center.

I can remember Guard members shooting birds along the sides of the runways.
    Remember Birds are a much bigger concern for a Jet than a few lead pellets.

I will have to agree with the base commander if there is shot on the runway something needs to be done. A safety issue and a valid one does trump the political rhetoric.

I would have to again ask if the problem could have been created by shooters on the range shooting appropriate shells.

If not you will first have to ascertain where the shot came from.

One other common use of shot is that of ballast when testing aircraft. I don't know if that could be where the shot came from but for years I was shooting Bags of Lawrence shot that was used to test the C5A.

Again if it becomes an issue and seems that an amicable solution can not be met I suggest calling the NRA. Their board member Lt Col. Oliver north would be a great intermediary.

If I can help let me know.
    Joe Goldberg

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

There is no way that shot, fired from SDSS, could have landed on the runway. If shot was found there, it came from shot bags used in aircraft maintenance.
    I hope this is resolved quickly, America (and SoCal in particular) can ill afford to lose a premier shotgun facility like San Diego Shotgun Sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.