1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego 10/11-12 ATA Shoot Cancelled

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Augie Daddi, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

At the direction of the United States Marine Corps, SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports has ceased shooting activities until further notice.

SDSSA President Robert Keefe is preparing a statement to be posted on our web site regarding this matter.

The registered ATA Trap shoot scheduled for Saturday & Sunday, October 11 & 12 is cancelled.

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

This is going to devastate many San Diego shooters.

If anyone is looking for a place to call home, the Lemon Grove Gun Club in Alpine has a few spots open for membership.

This is a private gun club that offers trap shooting (2) trap fields and a trap league every Wednesday night that is open to the public, fun shoots on the 2nd Saturday of each month, pot shoots on Friday nights, sporting clays shooting events that are usually held the 4th Sunday of the month and open to the public, and we offer rifle and pistol shooting with various events during each month. If you need further information, feel free to email me at the address above and I will answer any questions.

Best Regards,

Kevin King

3. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Nuts! And I was planning on spending a lot of time at Mirimar over the winter. As a former Marine aviator nothing a commanding officer does will ever surprise me. A new guy takes over and he just has to change something to mark his spot. I am guessing some toxic waste BS excuse. I'm sure nobody has been shooting at the aircraft and noise sure as hell is not an issue. I am really down about this. Such a nice venue. It will pass but it might take a while. gyrine

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

This started a couple of months ago when the 1st action was closure of the two bunkers at the west end of the range. At that time Skeet and Trap were unaffected. Now the closure is in effect for the entire range. Hopefully this is not permanent - I will be interested to read the statement from the Club President.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that this isn't permanent. If so I am crushed. It is hard to believe that much could be made of shooting on this property, given the historical use of Miramar and the surrounding area as a bomb range.

-Aaron

6. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I just posted the SDSSA President's message.

We've been at this location for 30 years. We're working to get shooting back at our range. Check our web site for further news.

Augie

7. Gila

Gila TS Member

Bummer, I know the board has been dealing with this issue in negotiations. San Diego area has a very anti-gun slant on everything, let's hope that the right Marine likes to shoot trap and skeet. I will be watching the website Augie which is really pretty good, Thanks for doing your part. Jim Lewis

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Though I am not currently a member of San Diego Shotgun Sports I can attest to it's existence for the past 40 years or better. It is a shame that the Marine Corp. has taken a stance against the existense of this fine organization. Here is a clear cut example of the Federal Government ignoring the public that they are suppposed to represent. As with every Military base, the new C.O. has the right to determine the civilian use of it's facility's. Someone needs to call this C.O. to task as to his motivation for calling this long established facility to task.

Robert

9. Bucko43

Here is the reason for the shutdown
    No telling how long this will take to fix.

This is a statment from the president of the club:

In the course of our lease discussions with MCAS Miramar, lead shot was found outside our lease area. Based on those findings, SAN DIEGOShotgun Sports Association has been ordered by MCAS Miramar to immediately cease all shooting activities until we submit a plan to assure that SDSSA use of the property is in accordance with our lease. We are actively pursuing all avenues to address and correct this problem of lead outside our lease area. Although all shooting activities have been ordered to cease, our gates are still open. SDSSA would like to apologize for the interruption of a popular sport that our membership, active and retired military and other guests enjoy .

10. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

This is the second shooting range to close in two months here in San Diego, we lost an indoor handgun range in August!

Just want to plug another club to vent your fustrations at here in San Diego...The Project 2000 Range is another place your can deposit your lead..from 7/8 loads to 3 1/4 loads of lead, our mountain side is waiting for you! We have two shotgun ranges, one a standard trap (with wobble of course), and a five stand range that throws everthing from double trap to towers, teals, whatever...There is also a 100yd indoor (air conditioned) rifle and handgun range, 3d archery range. Price is not too bad either, open to the public, RSOs on duty, memberships available for reduced rounds of shooting, located just 30 minutes South East of Miramar, in the lovely hills of El Cajon....
    ////////////////////////////////////
    I too am a member of the Lemon Grove private club, interested in becoming a member??? We ask little to be a member, but we have two shotgun ranges, a 200 yd rifle range, and a handgun range. NRA certified RSOs on duty!..It is a great place to hang out and shoot!..

LarryB

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'm not entirely sure why you are being closed. The information is vague. If you have problems and need help I'm happy to offer my assistance. My first question is what are the Marines asking from the gun club and is it reasonable and why hasn't it been done? Second is have you called The NRA they should be able to help through their board member Lt Col Oliver North USMC ret. Oliver is a shotgunner and shoots with one of my shooting groups. If the NRA won't help let me know and I will have some one contact him.
    Joe

13. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Any idea if the club will be able to host the ATA shoot on 11/1 & 2? If not where might that shoot be hosted?

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I am appalled that the Marines would want to shut down a shooting venue....if it is indeed the Marines who are behind this.
    I'll be watching this closely. SDSS (Miramar) is a great shooting venue, probably SoCal's finest shotgun facility. This will hurt more shooters than just those in SD county.
    Where will Susan go to practice Olympic???? (oh, that's right; P2K is getting a bunker field...........................!!)

15. Bucko43

Buddy O,

The ATA shoot for the 11th and 12th is cancelled.

There isn't another club in San Diego County that offers ATA shooting.

The closest club that shoots ATA is Redlands, which is 2 hours drive north and inland.

San Diego ATA shooters are pretty much screwed.

Kevin

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

If the reason for the closure is finding shot on the runway, I can guarantee it fell out of some Marines pocket.....there is no way it came from the firing line at SDSS.

17. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

With the runways a mile away, I sure would not want to be the guy who shot that gun to send his shot that far! Talk about recoil management!..Actually heard it was that a guy had a hang-fire with a Remington SP10 with a release triggger!...HA..Happy Humor Monday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.