1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

San Clemente Trap & Skeet Club Closed

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by dave-320c, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I just got the news that the Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton has closed the San Clemente T&S club until further notice.

The range was on land owned by the City of San Clemente. The shot fell onto Marine Corps land, and has for over 70 years.

This club has been in existence since 1940; it is located in San Clemente, California. It operated year around on Sundays, and during daylight savings was also open on Thursday afternoons. The club has about 130 members and was open to the public; it was run by the local Elks Club.

I believe it was closed because of the lead clean up and related issues.

Our club members will be looking at Prado, Redlands, and Triple B.

Good shooting to all,

Dave Swerdlin

2. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

0   0   0

Hi Dave:

Sorry to hear your range is closing.

I have been with Tri County Trap Club (tricountytrap.com) for several years. When I joined we held our shoots at Prado. Shortly after I became president in September 08 we held a club vote and decided to move to Redlands Shooting Park. Even though it is about 30 miles further for many of us we have never looked back. Terry Bilbey who runs Redlands has been most helpful to our club.
    At Prado we would get 35 to 40 shooters and at Redlands we have 70 to 90 shooters. Our average scores have gone up 3 to 5 points due to excellent target presentation and well performing equipment.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Charlie McPhee

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

I bet there was a change in the CO on the base. If lead is an issue then call in the reclaiming people who have the equipment to clean it up. Problem solved. I doubt very much its a lead issue because look at all the lead the military uses on the base.

There was a club in Va near Norfolk that had the same problem. It turned out the new CO didn't like non military people running around his HIS base shooting trap and skeet. He even put out an order to bulldoze the field. Some people some how talked him out of it and things were worked out to a point. The fields are still there and he has moved on but sorry to say there have not been any ATA shoots for some time.

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

San Diego Shotgun Sports Association has been shut down for shooting for 2 years (last month was the 2 year anniversary). It majorly sucks that we all have to drive almost 2 hours each way to Redlands or Triple B to shoot ATA. I would venture to say that at least 1/4 of the regular shooters at Redlands are from SDSSA. And yes, most of those shooters prefer shooting at Redlands Vs. Triple B because of the better bird presentation.

The range manager Layne is still on site at SDSSA until the Marines come in and boot him off their property. We are keeping our fingers crossed that something will happen soon with the Marines. The top dawgs have assigned a team of people to go put together a plan to get the Marines area back into compliance. The plan has been presented to the top dawgs, and it's being reviewed...for several months now...

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Let see here......if you're the marines why not have the lead harvested and collect the money. Ooooopppppsss, I forgot, the government is involved here and is completely devoid of any common sence decisions.

6. Bucko43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

We have a very large Marine base here in San Diego called Camp Pendelton, and there is a trap range on this base. That's probably the next target for their shutdowns...

7. h92064

h92064 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

An Interesting item to consider, for those who think the So-Cal gun range closures on Military base land have anything to do with Marines not wanting civilians running around "on-base", is that MCAS Miramar recently made it's on-base golf course "open to the public".

8. Bucko43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Golf balls don't leave lead deposits when they go outside the fenceline...

9. h92064

h92064 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

My point is that people - civilians - now have direct access to Miramar - to go golfing.....so, the argument the Marines don't want civilians on base doesn't really hold water....

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

"Harvesting" lead raises contamination of the environment- it doesnt lower it

It is the particulate lead that is the problem and every time you move- roll- grind or cause friction on the shot- particles are rubbed off

That particulate matter can work its way down or can be washed off - its bad stuff

So get off the "Harvesting" lead kick

Marines are subject to the same EPA inspections as anyone else btw

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

0   0   0

That sucks. I shot there once, and enjoyed it.

It was behind the golf course, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
san clemente gun club

san clemente municipal trap & skeet range

san clemente trap and skeet

san clemente trap and skeet club