1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

San Clemente Gun Club officially closed!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Veta, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

After 67 years of operation. The last trap and skeet gun club in Orange County California has closed for good. The population base Of O.C. is well over 2 million. San Clemente was just a two field club but as nice a little place as you could imagine. The Pacific Ocean is about one mile away as a crow flys. Great setting. The Elks club ran it. They decided the risk factor, given the political climate and pressure from Camp Pendleton marine base, was too great. Can't really blame them. I will miss the friendships.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

This may be the future for many clubs in California. I hope not.

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

It appears to be the future for any clubs that are associated with the Marines...Miramar has been shut down for 2 years now and things are sitting still at the moment.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why do the Marines want the clubs shut down? HMB

5. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

shot there since the mid-eighties.

no stated reason by the Marines.

my guess is lead issues and no clean up in 67 years (as the shot falls into difficult terrain).

it was a great little club; i will miss the guys and girls, club shoots, etc.

hello redlands, prado, and triple b.

Regards, and good shooting to all

david swerdlin

6. porky

porky TS Member

Be serious, this comes from higher up than that base commander. Try from the oval office to the chiefs of staff, then filter it down anywhere they can effect ranges held public by the military. A lot of advisors make calls using their positions in the political arena.

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

"Be serious, this comes from higher up than that base commander. Try from the oval office to the chiefs of staff, then filter it down anywhere they can effect ranges held public by the military. A lot of advisors make calls using their positions in the political arena."

And just when was it that Miramar was shut down???

8. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

In Colorado we had two clubs on military reservations. After 9-11 one closed except to active and retired military. The other club stayed open but with increased security, ie. background checks and lots of rules. Like spot checks to make sure the guns were in a locked case while being transported on the base,shotguns only and your concealed carry permit was no good on base.etc. God help you if you carry a gun in a soft, unlocked case or a handgun or rifle. Sole option of the base commander.

Jeff Bailey

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What a shame, I just loved that club, we had great pot shoots in the 80's when Walt was alive, he could make that wobble trap throw the most hellish tagets. When we shot Annie's, two's and four's were a way of life, Blue Dot and AL-7 ruled. Targets would sail off the bluff down the ravine with as many as eight, maybe nine shots fired and sometimes someone would luck into one. if they werent going downhill they were up in the 250K transmisson lines, you could hear and see the shot bouncing off the wires. The club sat on a hill about a mile off the Pacific coast were two world class surf breaks, Trestles and Chuch did there thing. I live up the coast about twenty miles, a day of pot shooting was really a day of surfing and shooting. I hit the surf at daybreak and then rolled up the hill for the 9:00 a.m. Annie. It's at San Clemente I got tagged "Surfer" The neighbors tired of the 9:00 a.m. Blue Dot wake call up and complained the city. Shortly after, Walt went down with a heart attack and went to the soft straight aways in the sky and that was the end of that. We all get the hardware store syndrome somewhere in our lives, you know owning a country harware store complete with rocking chair cracker barrel and all your pals haning around. Others dream of a trap field in there back yards. Mine was to own San Clement and surf in the morning shoot the rest of the time. Like all dreams, its just that.............. If it keeps going like this, we will be down to water pistols. Surfer

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, a lot of us "non-politically correct" gun owners have been saying for years that sooner or later the "politically correct" gun owners would eventually be targets. We've seen a rash of club closings, lead bans, etc., in the last decade.

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It is important to know that the Base Commander is not the ranking officer on the base. They are in charge of the security forces, support facilities, real estate, Moral, Welfare & Recreation Services, grass mowers, snow plows, etc. They do what they are told by people higher up the chain of command. Ron

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Semperfi909,

When I refer to Miramar, I'm referring to the San Diego Shotgun Sports range that faces Miramar air base. I suspect the reason the Marines are so harsh about escapement of lead is because they have been getting their asses kicked for years by the EPA. And they've been fined enough times for disposal of hazardous items enough that they are now gun shy (so to speak).

If you want to see the entire history of the closed shooting range in San Diego, see the link above.

Kevin

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Bucko43

I was referring to the oval office ref and it's obvious and erroneous attempt to splash some excrement.
    The lead issue is just a convenient ploy as everybody knows. The feds just plain don't want you there and any reason is a good one. I shot at Miramar many many times do wish you the best of luck, but ........

Charlie

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

That sucks!!! San Clemente and it is one of the nicest places in OC for sure...

Check out Prado Olympic Shooting Park located in Chino..Great Place! I believe it was built to support the Olympic games held in LA in the 80's so it is a full pistol, archery, airgun, shotgun Trap/Skeet and 5 stand...Check it out before they close that one too!

15. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Semperfi909

Once again, sorry your range is closed.

Check out "Tri Counties new shoot year starts on Oct 3rd"

This would be a good opportunity for your club members to experience how club shoots are conducted at Redlands Shooting Park.

Charlie

16. sbrady@Michel&Assoc

sbrady@Michel&Assoc TS Member

Hello, my name is Sean Brady, I am an attorney with the law firm of Michel & Associates, PC. Though I have never shot at San Clemente, attorneys from our firm have inspected it and told me how unique it is (I used to shoot where present day Coto de Caza is when I was a kid believe it or not, but now other locations are closer to me than southern Orange County). Our firm has been paying attention to this issue for quite some time, as our expertise is in firearms and environmental law. We represent the NRA and the California Rifle & Pistol Association in several matters in California and other states, and have also represented shooting ranges throughout the state for compliance, environmental, and other issues.

Despite attempts to try to get in contact with someone from this range to see if we can be of any assistance, we have been unable to do so. The reason for my post is to ask for those involved with running this range to contact us to see if we may be any help in either possibly saving the range or protecting those in charge once the range is closed. Please be cautioned that closing the range does not necessarily terminate all potential liability for certain issues with the range. The attorney at our firm that handles these types of matters is Lee Smith. He can be reached at (562) 216-4444. We are in Long Beach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

san cemente gun range closed