1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Same load at all distances

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Do you use the same load, FPS and size, from all distances or do you increase?

2. hoythunter03

hoythunter03 TS Member

I'm actually going to have to piggyback on your question, I am curious to hear the answers to this one. I personally increase once I hit the 22 and back (weekly Derby at my local glub, where wins move you back). I've been told by some of the older fella's though that I should shoot one load and get accustomed to it. The only reason I started increasing is because thats how my Dad loaded for us when I shot with him when I was younger, but honestly, have gotten used to it and like it.

Jim M

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

When I shot....same load for everything. I even used the same load for skeet, clays, 5 stand, dove and quail. Made my decision really easy on what to buy, reload, or shoot......1 oz, 2 3/4 dr, 8's.

JMHO

Jim C

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

1oz. 8's or 7.5's depending on what I can buy...and I just buy what I need....

Ron Burr

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use 1oz #8 @ 1180fps for everything. I will admit to having some light 7 1/2s loaded up (1 1/8oz @ 1145fps), that I used to use for handicap. However, since the only clubs I shoot at all use regular (non0bio) White Flyer targets, I don't need them anymore. And, I might add, my shoulder is happier for it.

6. wrd

wrd Member

I used to shoot 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 at all distances. Recently I have found that 7/8 oz of #8 performs better ( for me ) at 16 yards and is more comfortable to shoot. And less expensive. I reload all my ammo.
    I intend to see how this load performs at 27 yards. I have tried it a couple of times and I impressed myself. All loads are 1250 fps through a full choke.

7. jmunsell

I have been told it's easier to change your load then it is to change the way you shoot so I though about experimenting a little. Give it a go this evening and see what happens.

8. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

One ounce of 8's or 7.5's at 1200 FPS will effectively break every target on a trap field. I never change anything from the 16 to the 27.

9. 548

548 Guest

The replies so far shock me. Not that there are people who use one load for everything, but that the entries so far suggest that one universal load is popular and common when in fact, the opposite is true.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The one load approach is probably going to be your best bet in the long run. If you like the lower charge weights like 1 OZ and down for singles but then you bump that up to something much heavier for longer range shots you really notice the extra recoil and may even develop a flinch as a result - and this happens where you really need the accuracy the most.

I shoot 2 3/4 dram x 1 1/8 Oz x #8 loads primarly and that includes 27 yard HC. The targets can be smoked even from the backline with those loads and I am talking about WF Bios. Pellets on target seems to be the key more than an extra 100 or so fps of velocity.

When I use to handload all my trap ammo, I shot alot of 1 Oz loads because of costs and also I enjoyed the lack of recoil. But those shells just didn't perform as well as even the low vel 1 1/8 Oz loads for long range HC. I expect we will hear from lots of other posters about how the 1 Oz and even 7/8 Oz loads are the cats meow for everything but that just wasn't my experience.

11. abigbear

abigbear Member

1 1/8oz 7.5 1200fps on 16 & 23yd and 1 1/8oz 7.5 1250fps on 27yd...........seems to work for me

12. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I load 7/8 ounce of reclaimed at about 1200 fps for all clay sports, even handicap. I understand from the better shooters I should be more selective. I'm past the point of believing every speck of difference is important for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but its working at the moment.

Larry

13. 548

548 Guest

Grandpa, what is your handicap yardage and average?

14. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

I shoot the same load for everything 50% trap 50% skeet, I just swap the shot from 71/2 to 9.

My load 1oz shot, CB 1100 wad, Win 209 primer, 17 grains of 700X in a Remington hull.

Hodgdon guide says 1200 fps,works for me.

John

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

If,and I said if, I could shoot only one load for everything,16's, handicap to the 27, and both shots of doubles; it would be 1oz. of 7 1/2 at 1200 + fps. These are my reloads by the way.

Steve

16. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I shoot 1oz. #8 at 1200 FPS for singles and 11/8 oz. 7.5 at 1250 FPS for handicap.
    I am a AA - 27 shooter. Don't shoot doubles.

17. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

1oz 71/2 for singles, caps and second shot of doubles..

Van

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

I no longer shoot registered targets, but do play the "games" every now and then.

The only thing I change in my loads from the 16 back to 50 yards behind the traphouse is the size of the shot. 1 oz of 8's up to 1 oz of 6's. All in a published load at 1250fps.

19. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I used to switch loads going to 3 dram and Super Handicap / Nitro loads. However, I have realized that my highest handicap scores have come using Light #8 either Remington, or Winchesters. I broke a 97,98 and 99 this year from the 25 yard line. I'm now convinced that I shoot the light loads better in the summertime. I'll experiment to see how they perform in cold weather this winter.

Hit 'em hard,

John

20. jmunsell

548 are you suggesting that more people use different loads for different distances say 1145 from the 16 and 1200 from the 22 per say.

Strange as it may seem I have found 8's reclaim at 1090 for both to work very well for me. Going to try good 8's lead lead tonight at 1145 and 1200 one round from each 16 and 22.