1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

same gun for trap and skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Need help on this one !! Some say use same gun for both,But here's what I have .A 32" beretta 687 o/u. Are this barrels too long even with skeet chokes or should I get a 26" or 28" o/u gun , and should I use #8 with a 8 pedal wad Thanks Mike

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Use #9 shot.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I shoot skeet with my 30" O/U with my trap chokes in and have no problem hitting 20+ on a good day. Shoot what you have!

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

The only thing is you POI.

You don't really wanna shoot skeet with an 80/20 pattern.

Like what I was told I could do if I want to use my trap gun for skeet just take out what ever amount of washers from the comb to lower the POI and then just put them back for trap

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I use my XT Golden Clays for Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays. It has 32 inch barrels and does well for all three.
    I had Tron put an adjustable comb on it. He double cut it and I can lower the comb enough to look straight down the rib. I put 1/4" washers in it to shoot trap. I love that gun!

Bob

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ditto....you should be fine shooting the 687, just lower the comb, put in the skeet chokes and you are good to go. And if you don't shoot well, don't blame the gun :)

PS - I think the skeet shooters have moved away from 26/28" barrels to 30/32" ones.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a 32" 682 trap that I attempt to shoot skeet with. I even have a complete Kolar tube set for it. You can do it, but the very handling/POI charactoristic that makes it good for trap, makes it a little cumbersome for skeet. I have a little 26 in 20 gauge o/u that I like to shoot skeet with. the POI is as flat as a rifle, the field pattern stock works great, and the little bugger handles really fast. I shoot the same or better scores in skeet with the little 20 gauge as I do with 12 gauge in my trap gun. If I make my self get used to the trap gun on a skeet field, I can practice up and do better.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, Open, I don't know about that 80/20..

I shoot with a about 70/30 gun, carry B averages across the board and A in the 28 gauge. Broke 97 with the .410 not too long ago - and I dont' shoot that much skeet.

There's several folks at my club that use high shooting trap guns for skeet. We all do just fine. At the shorter distances, the high shooting isn't as noticable.

And if you cornered a skeeter and made him tell, their game is migrating to a higher POI. Why cover up what you're trying to hit?

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I will admit to not being much of a skeet shooter but I have shot the game with a wide variety of shotguns including my 682 trap gun. My best results in the skeet game are when I use a flat shooting autoloader or pump. My favorites are a Remington M1100 skeet model 26" 12 gauge and a M1100 LT20 also with a 26" skeet barrel. The worst results were with my trap gun - even my .410 scores shot with a M42 full choke beat this.

Thats just me but I have seen many guys walk over to the skeet range with their O/U trap gun and not fare too well. I don't think the issue is barrel length so much as it is POI.

10. johnboy

johnboy Member

Adjustable comb and add spacers for trap or remove for skeet. This will require some time on the pattern board.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The 32" barrels are fine!

Some of the best shooters I have seen shoot 30 or 32' barrels for skeet.
    Joe

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Best skeet scores were achieved with flat shooting 30" barreled Berettas - a 687 EELL and a 682 Sporting Clays (both tubed)...got to AA in 12, 20, 28 and Doubles, but only to A in .410. "Floating" skeet targets with high POI trap guns would be a challenge. Regards, Ed

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I use a MX8 32" bbl with Briley Chokes. I just change the butt stock to a sporting and am good to go. Before I got the sporting stock from this site I just had to consiously hold a little low. I could still break em all, it is just easier now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun for both trap and skeet

one gun for trap and skeet