1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** same gun different game ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I own a Kolar max T/ A trap gun. How feasible is it to shoot it at skeet. I know my trap setting is a high shooting gun but I think I can adjust the gun to shoot near 60/40. Kind of hate to buy another gun just to shoot skeet on occasion.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Flatten it out, put in two skeet chokes, and have a go at it. Mark

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I use my T/A Max for skeet all the time. A lot of the top skeet shooters in this area are going to the Kolar Max skeet gun since shooting my trap gun. Just shoot a little under the target or change the gun to shoot flatter with the skeet chokes. Ink balls. Bill Malcolm

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Get ready for the incoming wind, to possibly throw chips of birds into the gun. Other than that, if the wind is blowing out, no reason why you can't. Then again if you don't care about that, then you should be able to shoot them all. Ever look at the finish on a well used Skeet gun?

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Second what Beretta687EELL says above. I have used my trap gun for skeet and sporting(don't shoot them alot) and works pretty well. Just leave a little day light under the target. Can even hit falling battues with regularity. Grip it and rip it!Brad.

6. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I shot skeet during our interclub shoot with my XT. I just put in a set of skeet tubes and went at it. You are a lot closer to the targes shooting skeet. the high POI has less effect than most people would think when you are that close to the target.. Not sure if it is leagal to shoot skeet with double release triggers but I did and it was only our inter club shoot. Not registered skeet targets. I tried it with my auto loading hunting shotgun, but after the third round of practice I was flinching so bad several people told me they thought I was going to throw my gun at the targets. Not being a skeet shooter I did better than I expected. I had several scores of 23 and 22. I also had some in the 16,17,18 range but, that was when I first started. I have only shot roughly 20 rounds of skeet total in my whole life ever! Put some skeet tubes in your Kolar and go have fun.

Jim Bradbury

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jim,

Release triggers are allowed in registered skeet, but you must inform the referee. It may also complicate the failure to fire rules, but release triggers are allowed. International does not allow release triggers. Bill Malcolm

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A high shooting gun is preferred for American skeet shooting because it keeps the target above the barrel where it is visible. Especially important on the low house. In skeet, like trap, if you have to cover the target to hit it, you're going to lose one (or more) to a wind gust.

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Gary, After I shoot skeet a time or two I mite think the same thing. As soon as I start thinking it is hurting my trap game there will be no more skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.