1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Salvaged bullet lead and copper jackets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sshotshell, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Is there a scrap metal market for salvaged lead bullets with their jackets attached?
    If so, how is the price per pound determined?

J.P. Felice
  2. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

3. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Active Member

'Clean' metal will always have a higher value for recycling.

If you melt the lead from the copper the value for the copper will go up, as will the value for the lead.

As an example, if you have a mix of lead and copper - say 50 pounds of each as jacketed bullets, and we arbitrarily assign a value of $1.00 per pound for lead and $2.00 per pound for copper your mixture is NOT worth $150.00. Probably closer to $50, if that (recyclers really do not like mixed materials).

Your best best is to melt them to separate out the lead, conserve the copper (you can add old copper pipes, etc. to this lot) and when you have enough copper accumulated, take it to the recycler.

For the lead you would be better served to find someone with a shot maker and sell it to him, or trade for home made shot if you are a re-loader.

Food for thought.
  5. stokinpls

stokinpls Active Member

Last time I was at the salvage yard, their prices were:
    Soft lead $0.10/lb
    Wheelweights $0.03/lb

Didn't think to look at the copper prices, but not all bullet jackets are copper, but rather "gilding metal" and combination of copper and zinc. Most scrap yards look for any excuse to beat you down in price. Remember trying to sell some aluminum cans once and when pouring them in the chute some gravel fell out. The scrapper then wanted to offer $0.15 (scrap aluminum)for them instead of the usual $0.55. If you have a mixture, they invariably try to offer the lowest price of the two.

Best bet would be to find someone who makes their own shot and sell the lead to them. Good luck.
  6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Member

Ask your salvage mans FIRST before melting anything. I collected a bunch of stuff from our range and melted it. The lead, I made shot from. The "gliding materials" only brought about $.30 because he could not tell if it was copper or what ever. Still beats nothing, and I wanted the lead so the other was gravy but it does cost to melt and sort.

Now, where is that scrap yard that will sell wheel weights for three cents!
  7. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Trading lead to someone who makes their own shot for shot in return sounds good but I once gave someone 300 lbs. of wheel weights. His initals are R.B. (Ralph Barker) and only got 50 lbs. of shot back. I guess there are reputable shot makers out there but I haven't delt with one reciently.
  8. stokinpls

stokinpls Active Member

Jim, Sorry, forgot to and the word "buy" before the word price. Didn't feel like asking their "sell" price, since it was close to breakfast. ;-)

I can get you their phone number if you like.
  9. 320090T

320090T Active Member

sshotshell, there are lots of guys doing a lead for shot split honestly. Sounds like you found a lemon though. Usually it is 60-40 with already melted lead, 50-50 with unprocessed wheel weights. 300 pounds of wheel weights is only 240 pounds of lead after processing, your half should have been 120 pounds. If any of your wheel weights were steel or zinc, that would cut into your share.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.