1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Salmon and steelhead fly rod and reel suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, Sep 16, 2013.

1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Looking for suggestons for buying a fly rod and reel to fish for salmon and steelhead. Thanks

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Beginner or experienced??

I'd tell you to look at Orvis - they have rods/reels/or packages at several price points...

3. smsnyder

Experienced, I fish rivers for King Salmon and Steelhead here in the east. Looking to up grade to better equipment.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

What weight line do you like to throw?

I live in PA and use 4, 5 or 6 weight line on really short rods (my favorite is an Orvis Super Fine, 6 ft, 4 weight, which I use with 5 weight). J Ryall reels ONLY.

You could go bamboo through Golden Witch Rods as well.

The answer is - where do you fish - types of stream, how much overhang? Do you have space for back casting?

My brother in law runs Housatonic Anglers in CT - happy to put you in touch with him.

5. smsnyder

I been using 8 weight Cabelas LSI 9 Foot 9 rod. Been thinking about going to 9 weight for the big Kings on Oak Orchard River in NY. Looking to upgrade best rod and reel for the money. I only fish for the Big King Salmon, Browns and steelheads. Im also from PA.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Hardy rods - again with J Ryall reels. I have a Hardy smuggler rod and a small Ryall reel that fits in any back pack (I travel a lot for work so it gives me a truly portable package - collapsed the rod is about 18 inches - six pieces, yet it fishes better than most two piece rods).

I still think the best bang for the buck are some of the Orvis combo packages.

I'd hit an Orvis store and check them out - try out a few different rods and go from there.

A lot depends on what you want from a rod - I tend to fish on PA streams - with not much room so a short rod is a must. But I tend to go up a size in line (e.g., I use a 5 weight on a 4 weigh rod) - just gives me a better feel when I cast (NOTE - I do not claim to be a great fly fisherman - I look more like I am whipping the slaves than I am fishing).

The nice thing about Orvis is that the various rod groups have very different feels, so you have lots to choose from. A good choice in reels as well.

You can't beat their guarantee either...

7. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Abel 9/10 w reel and a Winston Boron 111 rod.

Doug

[​IMG]

8. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

You can't go wrong with Abel reels, last count I had 9 of them.

9. smsnyder

THANKS GUYS

10. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Snyder,

Call Anderson Custom Rods in Oregon. Gary will fix you up. Personally I think Orvis rods are good in the Trout range. Loomis, Sage, Multiple British rod makers are way more popular for heavier weights and big water/big fish.

If you're fishing Eastern US, then a 7wt would be perfect. If you are fishing the Northwest, then you want 7wt min probably an 8wt. and you might consider a Spey rod as the NW makes for some long casts of large flies and marginal back casting area available

Not many "bad rods" out there if you stay in brands. Personal pref to your casting style and speed. Not many bad reels either. Also depends on your budget.

11. Dirtweed

Dirtweed TS Member

I fish the Cattaraugus, Oak Orchard and the other tribs on Lake Erie and Ontario and my G Loomis GLX 10' 7# is all I need for salmon and steelhead. I like the 10' for the extra bit of reach over my Diamondback 9' 10wt. When I am at Burt Dam or the Oak I break out the 10wt to try to muscle them a bit more with all the fishing traffic there is at the park. So just about any Loomis in 7-9wt will be fine. Not a big Orvis fan or Sage as I've seen way too many busted tips on the Sage rods.

Any large arbor reel with a decent drag system will do. Being able to pick up the line quick is more important rather than having a ton of backing where I fish.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I picked up a fly rod at a garage sale last week. It is wooden, six sided, and 15 feet long with a stainless steel fly reel. The reel is marked Olympus. Any idea what I have? HMB

13. smsnyder

Dirtweed, Thanks for your advice on G Loomis rods.

14. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the new hardys work well

15. 3357

3357 Member

Winston and Abel makes very nice, reliable and functional rods and reels respectively. You only need to buy quality one time.

Search tags for this page

best erie steelhead flyrod

winston rods for lake erie steelhead