1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saleen Mustang

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I just purchased an '06 Mustang with Saleen supercharger and suspension. Car runs great, albeit has very stiff suspension.

Anybody else out there have a similiar combination, e.g., a Saleen etc.?

I am curious what to look out for, and, in particular, learning the truth from some BS that has been laid on me. Example: Is a larger than factory intercooler needed?

Thanks,

David

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dont have one but did have the type of supercharger they use...make sure you have the oil changed/serviced for the charger rotor gearcase specified in your owners manual...its often ignored and critical if you want it to survive,,a replacement would be about 5K including labor

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The oil in my old eaton was due every 100k.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It was half that in my SVO unit...I changed it everytime I did tranny fluid @25K with good synthetic

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, there is, I've found out, one expensive and dedicated oil good for 50K. 5-20 sae oil is good for 5000 miles in the blower.

This is "fun", finding small gremlins and improving the car...need to get intercooler pump working now. With the documentation I have, limited, don't even know where that electric pump is, but air temps are high on inlet and the water is not circulating through intercooler..

Also, I hate a noisy exhaust...(not due to leaks)...anybody familiar with mufflers that are quiet and still not restrictive? I believe there are some on the market these days. The Bosani mufflers make this thing sound like a high school kid's ideal equipment bait/attention getter. Ugh..."In my day, we used Corvair turbo mufflers, one per side, for a 350 SBC Chevy.." Things are so different now, 25 years later!

6. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I have a 2012 GT. The stock exhaust was too quiet all the time. It just didn't sound like a V8. I put the GT500 exhaust on it and it sounds great. It does not drone and is quiet when cruising but it lets you know when you get on it.

Lets see some pictures of the Saleen. Is it a factory built Saleen or is it mustang with their supercharger?

rjstubbl_2009_090359.jpg

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Back in the early 90's, I was working a job in western Indiana, and in this driveway, was a Saleen Mustang.

We were there for about a month, and when the project was close to this house, I walked up and was looking it over.

Just then, the homeowner came out, I apologized for being on his property, but said I was an old car nut, and we started talking.

It seems this had been his son's car, and his son died from cancer. He was shaken by the conversation, so I apologized again, and went back to work.

I saw him nearly every day after that, and one day he walked out to me, and asked if I had any boys?

I said I did, and told him their ages. He asked if they might be interested in the Mustang. I said the older one might, and he told me the whole story of his son, and how they had worked on it, and how much he missed him, but he would like to offer it to me very cheap for my son.

I knew the answer right then, but told him I would talk to my son tonight.

Well, I did tell my boy the story, and also told him that I could not accept this mans offer.

I knew if I bought this car, every time I saw it I would be reminded of his boy, and I didn't think my heart could take that. My son agreed!

The next day, this gentleman hunted me up at work, and when I explained the situation, we both had tears in our eyes, and I think a lot more respect for ourselves and our boys.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bvr Tail, I see you have a kind and gentle heart. Don't see that very often it seems. Jackie B.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'll get picture up; I like this 'stang, although I am a gm guy at heart. Neat thing about this one, IMO, is that outside of the too big wheels and tires, is a Mustang, a plain old Mustang that looks every bit the part a secretary would drive to downtown each day. Color very conservative, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Here 'tis; changing tires to a less aggressive set up today...before watching Super Bowl. All I can say is: People!!! damn kid before me, who owned car, had some really poor quality lug nuts on the wheels and nothing was torqued to spec. Good thing I was changing tire/rim set up. Note Saleen lower control arm and Saleen shock absorber...better parts for nicer handling than factory of the day. I was getting rid of the too aggressive and non-stealthy 20 inch tire/rim combo as seen on front of the car. Too much unsprung weight, for one thing, too wide a contact patch...so wide that I doubt if suspension could use it all. Went from 9 and 10 inch rims, front and back, respectively, to stock 8.5 inch rims, 18 inch Pirellis, as per Ford wanted it in the first place. The wide stuff is for the autocrossers, and track day crowd. Any Boss 302 owners out there? I'll make ya good deal...

Goal is to make this 'stang look more like a secretary's daily driver than a wanna be racy/sporty car...I think that's called stealth??

Pic of car below...

---

David
    chango2_2008_030343.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.