1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sailfshing in mexico

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cascade568, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cascade568

cascade568 TS Member

Jun 5, 2012
    anybody no where the best place to catch sailfish in mexico thanks brent .
  2. ramorton

ramorton Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Driftwood, Tx
    I haven't been, but they say Cabo San Lucas. Any place in Mexico is dangerous. Watch yourself. I don't care if it's a resort or not. Roy
  3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    You can catch sailfish near Jupiter Fl., stay away from Mexico--your life & assets are worth way more than any trophy.

Don't vacation in any third world country. Being an American, you're a target.

Phil Berkowitz
  4. DONNE

DONNE Member

Jan 29, 1998
    http://www.qualifiercharters.com/mexico/ Brent , Some of the boats from Oregon Inlet head to Mexico and fish for sails at Isla Mujeres off Cancun all winter. I put a link to only one of them here. If you go to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center website and browse the links to the individual boats on the left side , the info you are looking for will be there. You can contact the Captains and they'll be happy to talk to you. The guys that fish out of North Carolina are some of the best , and their locally built boats are second to none. Good Luck !
  5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have been spending several months wintering in Mexico for the last 6-7 years. While fishing is fishing and sometimes that always not not mean catching. Is this going to be like a family vacation and your going to do some fishing there? Or is this a boys adventure? I might reccomend different options?

Also IGNORE anyone trying to scare you it is dangerous...they know nothing about what is happening or going on in the country of Mexico, purely igornant.

I can tell you that I have been to almost all of the major tourist destinations in Mexico and now go to Ixtapa Mexico. Here are a few resources feel free to pm me.

I was actually featured in the fishing report in the last 5mos or so, the Roosterfish fishing was awesome.

6. radeck

radeck Member

Feb 28, 2008
    I caught my sailfish off Zihuatanejo on the west coast of Mexico near Ixtapa. But that was back in about '95.
  7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Wife and I each caught one on our trip to Acupulco in about 1994. We were just strolling the peer and a boat Cap't. approached us and made us a deal we could not refuse. $90 for the day if "no feeesh", $100 per day "catch feesh". We all did well that day.
  8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

May 27, 2007
    Caught lots of sail in the Puerto Vallarta area. Encourage you to pratice catch and release, but you need the cooperation of the captain & the crew as they prefer to take the fish home. The Pacific coast of Costa Rica is another place you may want to look into, and Panama gives you the bonus of hooking a trophy marlin. Chichay
  9. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I second Zihautenejo. 4 of us caught 8 sails in 2 days. 6 on first day and only 2 on 2nd day. Water was extremely rough, 6-8' swells. Stayed in Ixtapa.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.