1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sage Hill / Dan Orlich to fire last shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brownk80, Aug 27, 2013.

1. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I understand that Dan is going to fire the last shot at Sage Hill when it closes on Saturday. Sure hate to lose the club but it seems a fitting tribute.
    YMO

2. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I may have to go up there to see that. Dan deserves to have the honor.

Ron Wilson

3. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

Sure hate to see the club close down..Does anyone one know what will happen to the classic "Golden West Grand" ATA trap shoot that has been held every May for so many years???....Steve

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's going to be obsoleted, gone forever! Just like Trapshooting. Look around at the local gun clubs. Fewer and fewer shooters. The game has run it's course. Mostly due to the continued ramp up in overall costs, the Bambi syndrome, and the EPA. I remember when there were 200 squads at the Golden West Grand, and 50 squads every weekend at any one of several clubs in Southern California. It's was fun.......But, gone forever!

5. cafowler

cafowler Member

In the famous words of ESPN's Lee Corso "not so fast my friend."

There are 1,000's of kids in CA alone shooting the CYSSA every year. Multiply that acress the country and youth shooting is exploding. Give them a few years and a decent paying job, hopefully 1/2 of them should continue shooting thru their 20's and on. Sage Hill has other issues than lack of shooters. The CA State CYSSA shoot was so big this year they had to hold it at Clark Cnty in Vegas, that's not a bad problem to have. They are introducing Sporting to the CYSSA program now, so even more kids should get excited and involved.

Then again, if Dandy Don is singing "turn out the lights, it's over ....", maybe I can finally find shells at a decent price again. Gotta look at the good with the bad.

6. gundog

gundog TS Member

So sad to see such a great club go. I shot many GWGrands there. Dan Orlich deserves the last shot!! Smokem Dan

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

cafowler, When all those kids start paying for there own shooting. We will be lucky to see 2% stay in the sport. My son and grandson were avid trapshooters, and very good, when I was paying for everything. Guess what? When the cash cow cut the cash off...say la vie to Trapshooting. Of course, they had wife's at that point who controlled the cash.

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Would love to be at Sage Hill and watch Dan fire the final shot. Dan was Leo's idol....when he was a young shooter, the conversation at the gun club always included an update on what Dan had done recently.

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

This is really a sad day for our sport. I know exactly what it is like to lose your favorite shooting place when the Marines shut down our range in San Diego. It is such an empty lost feeling and you have no control over the situation.

I've been to this club one time when I was visitng Nevada and the range was closed at the time. So I didn't get to shoot. But it looked like a really great place to shoot. Good luck to all you folks there in Nevada with the loss of your range. Make sure to go try Capitol City gun club in Carson City and a really great range out in Fallon. They really treat visitors well and it is a great place to shoot.

Kevin

10. warren

warren Member

Actually this may stir things up a bit I know the Carson City Club has already seen a big increase and there's a lot of talk and speculation about what to do also don't forget the Mason Valley Club in Yerington it's no slouch and of course the very active club in Fallon.

warren

11. cafowler

cafowler Member

You're probably right, I hope not, but once those wives get ahold of the checkbook, things get tight. It would be interesting to see someone do a study about how many continue shooting, even if just a few rounds or a league after they shoot as Jr's. Sage Hill was nice, I was up there the weekend prior to the Indians shoot, just a beautiful weekend in the Carson Valley and Reno. I hope to retire up there some day, God's Country. I'll be back at Carson Valley Clays in a few weeks for a 4H fundraiser team shoot. Always enjoy shooting up there a couple times a year. It won't be the same with Sage Hill gone.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd love to be there to see Dan O. fire that last shot! Hopefully someone can video tape the occasion too along with pictures!

Dan was my idol in trap shooting also! After meeting and chatting with him in Las Vegas, his son and mine were born within an hour of each other, July 9 1965!!!

I hate hearing we'll lose another trap club but it is fitting that Dan will fire that last shot. Still a sad day.

HAP

13. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Does anyone know what time on Saturday this may take place??

RW

14. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I'm afraid Trapshooting is on the decline. Yes, there are some youth organizations keeping new blood entering. But it's nowhere near what it once was. I live just 3 miles from the old Litchfield Park Trap & Skeet Club. When we bought our home here in Phoenix in 1997, I could hear them shooting every Sunday morning. My wife and I shot there many times. It hosted the Spring Grand, the second largest trap shoot in the world, second only to the Grand American. All gone.

They had a clubhouse and a pro shop that rivaled a Denny's Restaurant, complete with a fully stocked bar and kitchen. I almost cried the day they bulldozed it. Nothing remains there. The trap line was almost a mile long, from Camelback Rd. to Indian School Rd.

We have since lost Red Mountain Trap & Skeet as well. The same with Surprise Sportsman's Club. All are gone. Nothing has opened to replace them. The only place left is Ben Avery well to the north, and the Joe Foss Shooting Range well to the southwest of the city. Trap is slowly disappearing. I'll be retiring in another year, and we'll be moving back to either Lake Havasu City, or else Golden Valley near Kingman. Both still have nice operating gun clubs.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a sad thing to see but I am sure the land is worth a whole lot more as a housing or business development than it ever would be as a shooting facility. Too bad for the shooters in the Reno area (and there are a lot of them).

Who knows, this might just be a golden opportunity for an active group of people to get together and build a new facility as good or better than Sage Hills.

16. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Dan will be shooting the last target at 6pm when they close.

17. bas

bas Member

We would just love to SEE Big Dan. What a great shooter and person. I remember the first time we attended the Western Grand at the old Salt Lake Gun Club in 1991. We stayed for the dinner - walked into where it was being served and Dan was sitting at a table - alone. He motioned for us to come over and join him. Prior to that, we had never met him! A fitting tribute and sad to see the end of Sage Hill. A really neat venue - always enjoyed shooting there.

18. justanother99

justanother99 Member

I have some pictures of Dan from last night...I'll post a few later on today.

19. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Can someone give me a contact number for Dan? I need an interview regarding early Ljutics for an article.

Kim Z.

California

20. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

To borrow (and slightly modify) an old quote from Lewis Grizzard.....

"Trap is dying; and I ain't feeling too good, myself."

Seriously, this is a sad situation for trap and shooting in general.

The very LAST thing we need is for someone to introduce a new clay target sport.

Mike

Search tags for this page
dan orlich

sage hill gun club

sage hill trap club