1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by alf174, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alf174

alf174 Member

Most auto loader shooters I've shot with close their bolt a second or two after the previous shooter hits their target.

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

If you should have an accidental discharge with your gun on the pad. You and those on the adjacent posts will be showered with concrete "shrapnel" and the pad will be about 8" up on your barrel. This is what I saw happen and I'm sure it could have been worse. When I shot an auto, I closed my bolt when the shooter's gun, on the post before me, went off.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

action closed, barrel must be down range in safe direction. Loaded shotgun pointed down at your feet against the concrete???? not very safe. I want to say there is a ata rule for this. I know the range officer at our club would warn you 1st 2nd time will be told to leave. At our club you must wait until your turn to close your action. A target released by your action is no big deal vs a shot gun blast on the concrete.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil - When to close a gun has been discussed at length with no consensus on this site. I would recommend never closing the gun unless the barrel is at least pointed toward the ground in the direction of the trap house. They sometimes go off prematurely. If you look closely, you can see some 2-3 foot trenches about 1 inch wide and 1 inch deep between the 16 yard line and the trap house. Also, a tight pattern can be seen on the back of many trap houses. The shallow trenches in the ground and the patterns on the back of the houses were not intentional. A VCR becomes deactivated a couple of seconds after another shooters calls for a bird. An auto can be closed during this time.

Pat Ireland

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

chatbrat- Usually microphone activated traps have a 1 1/2 to 2 second delay before the next shooter can call for the target (allowing the trap to be in a position to release the next bird). Closing your auto and having the gun downrange shouldn't set off the trap if done in this delay period. IMHO a loaded gun on the pad isn't something I would be comfortable seeing if I were the scorer. I agree with maclellan1911 in the comparison but losing 25 targets due to someone closing an auto at the wrong time will add up over the course of a days shooting. Bad for the club!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The instant that the previous shooter fires, close the bolt....you will not set off the voice activated because the machine needs a few seconds to set. If you're using a Beretta auto, I would highly suggest an after market bolt closure such as Angleport or DeVault industries. You can hit the closure with the pinky on your left hand and bring the gun up with one fluid motion.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you close the bolt while gun at rest and have a slam fire, it could get very interesting.

Don

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

raise the gun or try repositioning the mic. We have a lot of autos at our club. Target release from autos does happen here and there. the pumps will set it off also is held low

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

When I shoot my model 1100, after the shooter before me has fired a close the action with the gun faced towards the trap house I shoulder and call for the target. Never have had a problem doing it this way in thirty years of shooting. Once in awhile a target will be released at the sound of the action, at which point i wait for a monent shoulder the gun and call for my target.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

With a shell in the gun and the bolt closed the barrel should be pointed down range and not at the ground at your feet.

For conversational purposes only your going to be on post 5 ...

You clear empty shell and insert new shell after you shoot and put the barrel at your feet. When shooter #3 calls for his bird you pick up you gun and as he goes BANG let the bolt go home and hold the gun in a ready type position until shooter #4 calls for the bird and goes BANG. Now its time to put the gun in your shoulder and you call for the bird and go BANG ... now it all starts all over again.

You can also wait until shooter #4 call for the bird and goes BANG before releasing your bolt.

Just remember to help hide the sound of your bolt slamming home and possibly accidentally setting off a target release your bolt when you hear the other gun go BANG and you will never have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.