1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

safety question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigBadBob, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

My question is why the SCTP Prohibits placing the muzzle of the gun on your toe, toe pad or not, and the AIM and the ATA program only " ill-advises" it. I am for making it a rule that you can NOT under any circumstance, place the muzzle of your gun on your foot, PERIOD. It has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in my life. Maybe if someone would blow their foot off it would become a rule, across the board?

Any thoughts?

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

How do you blow your foot off when the gun is broken open? This is normally a practice I see with people that shoot O/U's or SBT's.

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Stuff happens. How do you blow a hole in your ceiling when you are cleaning your gun?

Why does the gun have to be on your FOOT?

Why not use a magnetic rest and put it on the ground?

I'm curious?

4. Avaldes

I use one of those magnetic rests myself because if I put the gun on my foot, it causes my toes to go to sleep. Not very comfortable. I totally understand stuff happens. But you have to be honest with the situation. If the gun is open, how is a shell going to get set off? Autoloaders and Pumps are a whole different deal. I wouldn't put either of them on my foot or a rest.

5. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Avaldes, very well put, I agree with you.

Trap-4

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm a foot rest person. Never feared blowing a hole in my foot nor shooting a hole in my ceiling while cleaning my gun. Safety is foremost. To me there is nothing unsafe about a broken open gun on my toe pad. Even if the shell in the broken open gun were to somehow go off, the worst thing that will happen is my shoe will get dirty.

You know some people would drown in a mud puddle........

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Just my opinion anyway.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I don't think the gun should be loaded until it's your turn to shoot. That's just my opinion, and that's how I do it. Problem solved.

Wayne

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I guess my problem is because of the kids. We all try to teach gun safety and placing a gun barrel, muzzle down on my foot is not something I want to do.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bob,

We don't allow our High School Team kids to do it and i usually don't do it myself while we are at the team practice. The other coaches and i often shoot with the kids at practice to complete partial squads. After they graduate then they can make their own choices. I do allow my 18yr old that is on the team to do it at non-team shoots. He is very safety oriented and i trust his judgement.

10. BD457

BD457 Member

"Maybe if someone would blow their foot off it would become a rule, across the board?"

Probably ........ but has it happened yet? The sport has been around a long time. I think that everybody that rests their broken open gun on their toe thinks about each and every time they do it. I know I do, and each and every time I do, I declare it safe to myself. If I thought for a split second that there were ANY way that the shell could go off and blow my foot up (which as posted above, probably wouldn't happen. The shell might hit me in the head and kill me instantly before my toes got warm), I wouldn't do it.

Mike

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

wayneo: Me too! That's also the way I train new shooters, it takes the trap machine 2&1\2 to 3 seconds to reset, plenty of time to drop in a shell & close the action. Safety FIRST,, EMPTY guns DON'T fire. When I go to shoot I'm not running a race just there to have a good time. Ross

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

At our club we had a guy, with a break open gun, shoot himself in the foot. Blew off part of his big toe. He was crazy and was closing the gun with the barrel still on his foot. This was back in the 70's. He still shoots today, but with a little different pre-shot approach.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have never seen a toe rest used by an auto, or pump shooter. I will wait until I see in the news that a breech open shooter has shot himself in the foot before I concern myself about that. Otherwise a simple "Do as I say , not as I do" should work. I am not sure the damage wouldn't be the same as a gun discharged on a pad resting on the concrete next to your foot, compared to on your toe.

14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

If you have a kid or coach kids in the SCTP program, it is prohibited, even with a toe-pad. Violation of the rule is grounds for disqulification. I would hate for one of my shooters to have a 100 or 200 straight and get disqualified for putting his gun on his TOE.

We do not allow our shooters to EVER put the gun on their toe. I feel if you can mount and shoot a gun for a round, you can hold it for the 20 minutes of a round your are not pulling the trigger. My opinion.

I was not intending to start an argument with this thread, I was only looking for feedback and got caught up. I apologize.

15. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Why allow any form of "resting"? I mean if you can blow your foot off with an open gun then surely you can blow up the entire gun with it on one of those magnetic things, right? Even more safe is to just to stay at home where there is no boom-boom going on.

Some people are idiots and deserve to have their foot blown off. To bad they can't rest the muzzle on the balls so they won't breed.

16. plinker611

plinker611 Member

seen the end results of resting on your toe posted on this site,and would never do it with a break open,or anything else.that is what they made magnetic pads for those not strong enough to hold a gun for a round of trap,no matter how safe you are,you always have the human factor to consider,mark

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

which would you rather have fall on you: a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

18. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

This thread is enlightening - to me. I am vowing to make a point to NEVER AGAIN rest any gun barrel on any part of my body.

19. Avaldes

So can someone please explain to me how you blow your foot off with an open shotgun?

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentative, I just want to understand the percieved danger, and why this would be considered poor form. Basic gun safety says to always point a gun in a safe direction, especially when loaded. It seems as though the open shotgun is a bit of a special case.

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The purpose, I had hoped, was to open discussion on this particular nuance I've noticed with some shooters. After checking rulebooks for both programs our kids shoot I find this dicrepancy. One rule book says the practice is prohibited, and the other says it's not. I'm not saying you can fire an open gun. Give me a break. There is a possibility of someone forgetting to open a gun, especially kids that don't have the years of experience that most adults have, with a live shell in it.

Who thought you could spill hot coffee on yourself and then sue and win millions of dollars.

The ATA rulebook states, "While not prohibited, the practice of resting the muzzle of a shotgun on a shooters toe is ill-advised and is discouraged."
    AIM shooters follow ATA rulebook.

SCTP Rulebook states, " Use of toe-pads is forbidden- violation to rest tha muzzle on the foot. Violation of this rule may be grounds for disqualification."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.