1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety Procedures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Talked to Cubancigar, we exchanged some safety tips on reloading. So do you have any SAFETY TIPS that would keep all of us from blowing ourselves up?? For example, last week my little computer vacuum blew up from the accumulated gun powder in the cloth bag. Scared the heck out me and singed my fingers. Changed to a small shop vac with more volume and easy to empty more frequently.

So bring them on,,, Fred

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More volume, more gun powder, that way you can have a really big explosion when you forget to empty it. HMB

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't use a shop vac with gunpowder?

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a fire extinguisher in proximity to my reloading bench. Not on it, but mounted on the wall 15 or so feet away.

HMB, The bigger vacuum thing is really very funny!

Guy Babin

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wear a face shield (like you'd wear when using a bench grinder), or safety glasses at a minimum.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well the ahop vac does not concentrate the powder and is not in my hand. Just got to remember to empty it. So far now on my signature will be 3 Finger Fred.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have found that one of my wife's cosmetics brushes or a thin bristle paint brush is more than enough to clean the few bits of powder and/or shot that might find its was outside a shell... mount your loader on a cookie sheet to catch everything around the base...

Jay

8. Lewes

Lewes Member

I also use a cookie sheet to catch shot and powder before it hits the floor. Use sticky side of masking tape to pick up loose shot / powder. Canned air works great to rid equipment of loose components . Irv

9. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

I use a shop vac, but I cut the end off of the leg of a pair of pantyhose.

The closed end goes in the vacuum tube and the open end is rubber banded to the outside making a shot and powder filter of sorts.

This keeps the powder away from the motor and any sparks.

Not 100% safe, but it works.

Tim

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I guess you guy's don't know the difference between an explosion rated device and one that's not. A shop vac does not have an explosion rating. Stupid is as stupid does. Why in the world would you need a vacum around your reloader anyway, are you that much of slob. Use a brush. Geez!

Surfer

11. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I use a two gal shop vac with the paper filters for years and never had a problem. I use a hose connected to PVC pipe and my vac is about 20 feet away from my loading bench.It does a great job cleaning up any spills, which if you load you are going to have a spill ever now and then.

Dave

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

HELL, if your that afraid of things why don't you buy a bomb suit and a explosion cabinet with hand claws. I have been reloading for over 40 years and have never had a problem with powder or primers.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Famous last words = the gun is unloaded or I have been doing it for 100 years...but the gun went off or the powder blew. I know for a fact, that Spolar limits the volume of the powder tube to avoid a catastrophic explosion should one accidentally occur. I will have to get a cookie sheet to place under my machine == good suggestion. Fred

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I got a tray from Golden Corral to put under my loader, I asked the manager and she gave me one. It works great at keeping spills off the floor.

Oscar

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To keep spills off the floor I use a piece of carpet. I cut the area out for the loader and then have about 10" on either side and back. All you do is just pick it up and take it outside and shake it.

16. dead on 4

Vacuums creates friction, friction creates spontaneous combustion. Why do you think your little vacuum flamed out. Bigger cannister with larger volume, much bigger problem. Most Accidents aren't accidents at all. So called accidents are caused by foolish people who have gotten away with something stupid time again until the stupidness catches up, then behold! its called an accident, duh!

You farm boys tell me what happens when a little grain dust mixed with the right ratio of air pushes up against friction, static electricity or heat are the results of friction, might as well throw a match at it. The secnario is no different in a vac cannister with flakes of powder.

Safe is safe, dumb is dumb, how dumb are you guys. Don't tell me, I already know.

Surfer

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Surfer/Dead on four: Do you actually have a name? Your rudeness has pissed me off. Get off my thread and take your name calling some place else. Surfer duh.. Fred

18. TjayE

TjayE Member

Way to go Fred. I agree with you instructions to Surfer. Tom

19. dead on 4

Fred, you said bring it on and I brought it on............... Sorry your skin is so thin and you wilt in the corner when a little criticism comes your way, that goes for you as well Tom. Don't ask a question unless you expect to get a frank, honest and pointed answer. I thought this sight was made up of men who can have frank discussions, not boys, guess not.

Fred you're darn lucky you you didn't do more than singe your fingers, I can hardly wait to hear what happens when the shop vac sparks off.

The safety tip of thr day. Keep any spark or heat producing objects away from Gun powder, simple and safe.

As requested, I'm jumping off your thread

Surfer R. Surfer

20. psfive

psfive Member

I use a brush to push all spills (shot and powder) down a hole in the top of my bench. falls through a pvc pipe to a separator I made to separate the shot from the powder. The whole area around my loader is contained by a 1x1 wood fence. Has worked like that for a long long time. I'll post a picture if you want to see it. Paul in GINebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.