1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Last weekend I asked a fellow trapshooter if he would let me shoot a few rounds with his 870. He had installed a stepped rib on top of the factory rib and I've been thinking of doing the same with my 870. I stepped up to the line, raised the gun to my shoulder and barely touching the trigger IT WENT OFF! I'm lucky it was pointing down range and into the air. The gun was un-familiar to me, I was expecting it to behave like my own. I'm stupid for the assumption but I learned a good lesson. Bill B

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: You did exactly what a shooter is supposed to do. You kept a loaded firearm pointed downrange and kept your finger out of the trigger guard until you were ready to call for the target. I would share this experience with fellow shooters, (especially the young and/or the new shooters). This type of incident is proof, that there are no accidents; as long as a loaded gun is pointed downrange at all times. Before retirement I was a firearms instructor. This was something that I repeated continuously. Gun is always pointed downrange and the finger is always outside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire the gun. Good Job. Ed

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When trying a new gun and or someone elses gun you should have a spent hull or a snap cap to test the trigger. Each gun is diff.

4. ismah

ismah Member

Thanks Ed for the kind words. I still felt pretty stupid. Also I'd like to add that if you let someone shoot your gun be sure to let them know about anything that might be different from what they'r use to. Nobody likes surprises at a gun range.

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

The smartest thing you did was keeping the gun pointed downrange before engaging the trigger. It's one of the first and paramount things taught by instructors (and grandpa's). Not failing to observe this rule has saved many a life and injuries. I knew this as a young boy but saw it violated many times by new recruits in basic training - resulting in some serious butt chewings and KP assignments by range officers. It's also a lesson in why shells are not chambered on the trap line until just before engaging the target, but you already know these things. If the trigger pull was unrealistically light, however, your friend should have let you know that. Sounds like it may have only been a couple pounds to discharge with just a light touch. Glad no one got hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.