1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety-Decorum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Am I the only trap shooter that is "annoyed" by shooters who, when moving from station 5 to station 1, turn to the left before they walk behind the line of other shooters. I was taught that gun handling rule #1 was never point your gun at anything you didn't want to shoot and that in leaving station #5 I should turn to the right and away from the advancing shooter on #4. There is no addendum to the rule that says it's ok point a gun at something you hope not to shoot, if the gun isn't loaded. When #5 shooter turns to the left he is turning his gun into shooter #4. Not only is it inherently unsafe but it risk to possibility of shooter #4 banging barrels with shooter #5. What do you guys think.

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

If your gun is pointed at the ground or skyward, what difference would it make which way you turn? That is the way that I was taught to walk with a firearm.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I was taught to turn clockwise at station 5, although if your gun is not pointing down at the ground then you are still pointing at the folks on the next trap and the spectators behind you.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I seem to recall this being discussed a time or 30 in the past ... I happen to turn to my right when going from post 5 to post 1 but do not see it as being unsafe to turn in either direction ... I try to start on post 1 to eliminate the walk from post 5 to post 1 later in the round but that doesn't always happen ... I do not let this type of thing "annoy" me when I am trying to shoot and have some fun ... I also always keep my gun pointed at the ground and open when changing posts and until its my turn to call for a target ... Don't try to reinvent the wheel, go and have fun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I shoot a gaspipe, so it gets pointed straight up when I move. If I circle left or right at station 5, it should have no impact. If I were shooting a break-open, I would certainly ensure that the muzzle were pointed in a safe direction while changing stations. That would usually mean circling clockwise at station 5. That would only protect the shooters on my field, since the muzzle would certainly cross that field or ground midway, while covering areas occupied by spectators, scorekeepers, and others while I turned.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quack Shot, quote: <i>"I shoot a gaspipe, so it gets pointed straight up when I move."</i>

That's a safety violation at my club. Muzzles must be pointed at the ground unless actually shooting or when putting the gun in a rack.

7. Brian in Oregon

Yup. If the muzzle is pointing in the direction of someone's leg, the pellets may well ricochet off the cement and strike their leg. Lead pellets can ricochet, but steel pellets are especially bad for this.

I'm not aware of this being a major issue, but nevertheless it is something that should be considered.

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Son, you got a lot to learn about this game and its traditions. If Trapshooting is too scary for you, take up something more up your alley, like macrame. We don't need trolls like you coming in here and telling us how to change the traditions of the game we've been playing for over 100 years.

When you win Caps at the Grand five times, with a 28 gauge, you'll have earned the right to come in here and talk to us about this great game.

Until then, quit the whining. Just shoot whatever targets they throw, and thank the ATA that you still have a sport.

Sincerely,

Ms. Acras

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some shooters rotate clockwise when moving from post five. By doing that they do not point their gun at the shooter moving from post 4 to post 5. Rather they point their gun at the entire squad shooting on the trap to their right, then the scorer on that field. then the squid sitting on the bench on the field to the right, next the scorer on their field, but never toward the shooter moving from post 4 to post 5.

Safe shooters never change posts with their gun closed.

Pat Ireland

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

There's something fishy about that squid sitting on the bench...I don't like the smell of it.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

S357 - and you have a lot to learn about how to engage folks in conversation without offending them. Signing you name would help improve that.

12. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Would you rather get hit at 5 ft or 27yds. If I had a choice I'd take 27yds. Eather way may be right but withch is best?

13. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

I walk backwards, avoiding the decision as to which way to turn. Being left handed keeps my barrel from pointing at the rest of the squad as I execute the movement.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Brian in Oregon

So at "your" club, it's safer to wave a muzzle past the adjacent field than to point one straight up while making the turn? Once back on the line, down-range would be the direction of choice with the muzzle low, but I have a real issue with waving my barrel across a field with people all over it or having it pointed at the ground where a ricochet could harm someone. Straight up sounds like a reasonable solution while turning off the line to avoid the issue. My action is ALWAYS open AND unloaded, unless I'm ready to shoot my turn. Pointing a gun at the ground is fine, provided you are not in close quarters with other people and there is no danger of ricochet.

15. Brian in Oregon

Who said the muzzle was waving at the next field? It's pointed down at a steep angle.

If the action is open there should be no problem. But, accidents do happen, because someone made a mistake. Thus, for this scenario, it's best to point the muzzle away from the closest objects the shot will ricochet into, which are your squadmates. The pellets have spread and energy has been reduced for a ricochet into the next field or bystanders.

Ideally I believe muzzles should point up, just like at the rifle ranges I shoot at. But at my trap club muzzles must point down. I do not know the reason for this rule, only that it exists.

16. Traders

I never realized i was opening a can of worms. Do i turn left or right. It sure seems logical that since there are only 2 choices, all other things being equal, turning right is inherently safer. i never point my barrel at my team mates and there is less chance of banging barrels. Of course it is open and unloaded. That goes without saying.

17. Traders

I never realized i was opening a can of worms. Do i turn left or right. It sure seems logical that since there are only 2 choices, all other things being equal, turning right is inherently safer. i never point my barrel at my team mates and there is less chance of banging barrels. Of course it is open and unloaded. That goes without saying.

18. Traders

19. Traders

20. Traders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.