1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SAFESTJOB IN AMERICA!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I talked to my teenage disabled nephew last weekend at a family holiday party. I asked him if he knew what he wanted to someday with his life? He said he wants to be a meteorologist.

I told him a meteorologist has to be one of the most secure jobs in America. I told him what other job can you be wrong almost on a daily basis and still keep your job? The meteorologist that we have here in the Milwaukee area are seldom correct in their forecast as they usually blame their incorrect forecast on the effects that Lake Michigan has on their forecast. Milwaukee sits on the shores of lake Michigan and is used as an excuse when their forecast are usually wrong. Despite meteorologist having doppler radar, I really don't see weather forecast to be any more accurate than years ago.

What I would like to see happen is when they intend to scare people with their storm forecast, and then virtually nothing happens, that they would have some accountability. I live in Wisconsin, we get cold and snow. Some of these characters on television act like a 2 inch snow fall is armageddon. They needlessly frighten the elderly, as well as close businesses.

Any other jobs you can think of that is very secure in this day and age?

Steve Balistreri

2. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Economist. It takes years (sometimes decades) for their predictions to play out. If they are wrong, then there's plenty of outside events to blame.

Without a doubt they are the "dismal science".

Andrew.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

bartenders & undertakers

4. JTEA

JTEA Member

Actuaries are treated with kid gloves and driven in limousines. The big money people tremble at their data and want nothing to go wrong.

5. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Politicians, usually wrong, usually re-elected and full benefits when they lose with pension to die for.

6. rocko

rocko Member

Barney Franks' seat in the House. Yeah Nancy and that space alien in Ohio.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dr Andrew, I am surprised by your post. Didn't you know that the worst meteorologist leave that field and become economists?

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A meteorologist can greatly improve his performance by just taking a look out of the window. HMB

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A meteorologist? Ha. An even safer job is a global warming scientist.

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

Economist and meteorologist are the only jobs that you can be wrong 50% of the time and still be a success. Mike

11. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

An economist could improve his performance by jumping out of the window.

(On that topic, remember the 80s financial turmoil and quite a few bankers/financiers took a dive. This time the damage is 100x bigger and there's no jumpers. Simply no honour among thieves these days.)

Andrew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.