1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safelite auto glass

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Maz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz TS Member

Just wondering if any one has used their service and what they think about it .Have a small nick in windsheild and would like to have it fixed before it gets any worse. Thank You

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have multiple times

They are the best there is as far as glasswork

Gene

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They fixed a rock chip in my windshield in Sept 2011. I noticed over the past couple months the epoxy appeared to be falling out, and last month it started cracking around the repair. Called the insurance company and they had a new windshield installed. So the repair lasted about a year and a half.

All in all, its a good alternative if you don't have the $ right away to replace the windshield, but I think you'll end up having to replace it eventually anyways, so it gives you time to save up for a new one. The insurance company paid for the repair, and to replace the windshield, so it didn't make much difference to me either way. I could have had it replaced to begin with, but I figured I'd try the repair first and save the insurance company some money.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Most states now, for safety reasons I suppose, mandate a new windshield replacement rather than repair, with zero deductible if the damage is in your "line of sight." Check with your agent or the glass folks themselves.

Also, it is usually your right to have OEM glass installed rather than aftermarket, although Pilkington is pretty good.

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I have had several windshield repaired with safelite over the years with good lasting results. They have also replaced a couple of windshield that were not repairable.

They are a part of a huge company that provides this type of service in Europe and other regions too.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Speaking as a retired dealership service manager, I would use Safelite for glass replacement only if there was no alternative. We had too many customer complaints that Safelite would or could not rectify.

Safelite does not manufacture their glass, they buy seconds from the major companies with Safelite's generic brand name on it. Distortion is common and fit can be sketchy. I learned that first-hand when the tailgate glass in my wife's station wagon broke in 2002.

Their employee came to the dealership, bolted the new glass to its hinges and came inside for a purchase order. I walked out to look at the installation and noticed that the glass had a curvature that factory glass does not have. The technician claimed they all looked like that, even when I showed him numerous identical vehicles without that curvature. I then showed him that my pen would almost slide in between the upper center of the glass and the car's body. He called his office and advised me that he would be back the next day with another glass.

Three more pieces of glass later, the fit problem persisted and the road noise and water leakage were significant, as you might expect. They sent another tech out who tightened the glass against the body and inserted vacuum hose in the weatherstrip to close the gaps but the glass shattered during my drive home that evening. I finally ended the frustration by installing a factory glass myself. Having had it proven to me that my customers' complaints were very real, I found a small glass company that uses only Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Libbey-Owens-Ford glass, charges just a little more than Safelite and provides prompt, quality service.

Several years ago, Safelite bought out Cindy Rowe, a very successful local glass company that many dealers used. Cindy Rowe employees I know who still work for the company tell me that they often discover windshields that are sized incorrectly or have excessive distortion but are told to "make it work" as best they can. Those people really miss Cindy Rowe.

You get what you pay for...

Ed

7. Robb

Robb Member

Never again. Insurance wanted to use them because they are the cheapest. They're cheap for a reason. Local body shop had their own guy who did great. No more safelite for us.

8. oz

oz Active Member

make sure you buy an American windshield, not a Chinese knock off.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ed is right on. There is a lot of difference in OEM vs aftermarket glass. Also Aprice is right about line of sight, never do a repair if it is in your line of vision

10. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

In insurance business, safelite is great! They put glass in all of my cars. Never again. No problems, but we went to a glass company learning seminar and that is the thinnest cheapest glass around. I loved the fact that they came to my work and home, changed out the glass, and did a great job. All the good companies do that now. Get OEM glass and don't look back.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Never will use them. Been in Ins. biz over 40 yrs. They have cut deals with major insurers to handle all their glass claims, consequently quality sucks. Had a repair done on my car last week and used another old good glass co, The Glass Doctor (Harmon Glass).

Repair if you can because you have a good seal now. Replace and you risk a poor seal which will leak on you and you have to go through it all again. Safelite has been known to use an inferior adhesive and that is not good as your glass, belive it or not is an important part of your car's structure strength.

Don

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you use them on a high end car like a Benz, you'll get a major hit on resale or trade in

Phil Berkowitz

13. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I've been in auto body repair for over 30 years, we used to have a safelite shop in our area, nice people that worked there but there product was very inferior to some of the others, as others have stated their glass doesn't fit as well, to the average person they probably wouldn't notice the difference, but when working with glass for many years you can definitely see the difference in product.

Search tags for this page

glass doctor vs safelite