1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe To Store Gun In Hard Case?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

I got a Remington hard case for my 1100 Trap and was wondering if it would be safe to store it in the case for 1-2 weeks at a time. I worry about humidity and corrosion like all good gun owners. What do you guys think? What about those silica packs? Thanks for your input!

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The silica packs help, although I don't use them but I alway coat my guns metal parts with Birchwood Caseys "Barricade" (formerly called "Sheath"). I have never had any corrosion when I do that and that's been for about 35 years of storing my guns in my hard cases. That's where the gun's are unless I'm shooting them.

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

If you are using a FOAM-LINED case, be extra-careful. The soft foam draws moisture and can rust pretty quick. I try not to use foam lined cases except for shipping which only lasts a couple days and I use plenty of 30 weight oil - NON-detergent..........merlyn

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Cold guns in a case into the sun or warm car spell trouble. I always let my guns "normalize" to room temperature when I come home and store them in a soft case. By normalize, I take gun out of the case, wipe it down to "kill" fingerprints, etc., then let gun sit out for a couple of hours in the home. Then wipe down, then put away. Sweating (condensation) is what has caused me problems in the past.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I keep my 90T in a Browning 1015 case, well oiled, but I also throw in those anti-rust strips from Plano molding that emit an anti-rusting agent... same ones used in tool boxes... inexpensive protection, never a problem.

regards all,

Jay

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Wipe the gun down with Clenzoil and don't give it another thought ... Clenzoil is the absolute best product I have ever used for cleaning and preserving my guns, not only the metal but the wood also ... This stuff is great and works on leather products also ... You could store them in a case or safe and forget about them ... I like it so much I buy it by the case ... WPT ... (YAC) ....

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Before I got my safe I used to keep mine in hard cases. Well oiled and I always left the case cracked open to keep everything dry.

Guy Babin

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WWW.Clenzoil.com or 1-800 OIL IT UP ... They used to send out samples for peope to try, not sure if they still do or not ... You can get bottles or patches, amazing stuff ... Its been around for a long time but until I saw a guy wiping his gun down with it I never heard of the stuff, Now I will never be without it again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Try the website address above for Clenzoil. Tom E.

10. maka

maka Member

Have several Remingtons in hard cases. Just wipe them down with rem oil. It contains teflon and prevents rust. I keep a small bottle and a small cloth in a zip seal baggie in each hard case. As stated above, watch out for foam line cases. They do absorb oil and moisture.

11. FAT-BOY

FAT-BOY TS Member

How does clenzoil work on the new mat finish barrels.I just got a new Ceasar Guerini with this type barrels.

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have kept my K guns in the factory hard cases since 1969 and never had rust or anything else. Wipe down with gun pro oil and have left them alone for a couple of months. Have lived in Texas, Florida, and Georgia so all have had plenty of humidity.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil works on any and all metal finishes as well as wood and leather, its amazing stuff I tell you ... I did the leather interior of a Buick Reatta that I owned and it never looked that good when it was new, Honest ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

store gun in case