1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe to Shoot These Old Shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Feist Hunter, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I was given a couple of boxes of these old hunting loads. Safe to shoot or should I just harvest the lead?

[​IMG]

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoot 'em or collect them.

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I second that, just shoot em! I had 30 or so that looked just like them from the 60's and maybe the 50's I gave them to my brother-in-law and they worked fine. Yes I do like my brother in law I shoot trap and don't hunt, he used them for hunting.

Another little story, a fellow worker of my dad gave him a box of 1943 steel base remington shot shells (he took one out to see if it would shoot) I noticed a note laying on top of the shells that said something like this, do to the war effort we are not using brass as to help support our troops. My dad donated the to the ATA hall of fame. Where they sometimes have them on display.

5. psfive

psfive Member

I collect them. I also use them for education purposes, at our Hunter Education classes twice a year. Most of those kids will never see anything like that. Paul Leeper. Paul in Nebraska.

6. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I have a bunch of old peters paper wrapped 2 shot 2 3/4. Was checkin out the box and sweet christ they are 3 3/4 dram... in a 2 3/4!!! I tried shootin some of mine but the primers are all kaput! Hope you don't have the luck i did!

7. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Shoot em. The only ones that consistently don't go off are the Winchester Super Speed with the silve primers. All the ones you have will shoot fine. Have fun with em. JW

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our club doesn't allow shot size larger than 7 & 1/2, I think many others do the same.

I would shoot them, for pest control of sorts if applicable, or at bowling pins.

HM

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Memories ____pressed between the pages of my mind.

Michael Stephenson

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've killed a piles of game with shells just like 'em. Love those 5's. Back when I was a kid(9 or 10),an old man gave me a big box full of assorted paper shells,mostly 12 ga.,with a few 16s mixed in. Long story short......must have been 4/500 shells(12 ga alone). Used to do ALOT of hunting,and those shells lasted me a long long time. If I dig around I can probably find a few. Those old paper shells sure take me back........
    Smoke 'em all.

D.P.Reynolds

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They are shootable but I also like to keep them around for reasons like the last two posters are getting at - remembering when.

Still every now and then I will take a couple rounds of the vintage stuff out hunting. Problem is after I shoot one of them I have to take time out for hull sniffing ... I'm sure a lot of guys here know what that is all about.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shoot em up just not when I'm around just kidding shoot em up

13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

I've shot worse.

But not out of my parkers! This is what the A5 or 14 are for!

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I've posted this before but will post it again. My brother had a box of 1950's vintage Fed Hi Powers that were factory new shells ie not reloads that he picked up w/ some other stuff at an auction. He decided to shoot them at pigeons at a friends farm as steel was required for waterfowl. He'd shot aprox 1/2 doz through his 870 Wingmaster. The next one he shot blew up the 870. Nothing was salvageable, not even the buttstock. I talked to a Fed rep at the Grand about it and his explanation was that the shells must have been exposed to extreme heat at sometime (stored in an atic probably). The heat causes the wax in the paper tube to migrate through the paper and bond with the powder which causes a much more powerful explosion when the powder is ignited. Plausible explanation and we both quit shooting up old papers at pigeons or clays. Luckily and amazingly there was no serious injury. I showed Pat Laib the remaining parts, blown barrel, cracked and expanded frame, splintered forend etc and he said the pressure had to have been way off the charts to do that kind of damage. Shoot old papers at your own risk.

15. lostandout

lostandout Member

they make a great cut shell

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Shoot them and you loose history. Put them on your shelf and keep them for your kids. People do collect them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.