1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe to shoot Buckshot from full choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Will it damage my barrel to shoot a handful of rounds of 00 buckshot through a fixed full choke Remington Model 31?

I am curious as to the pattern

Lou

2. Bushmaster1313

That is what I thought.

What game animals and at what range do hunters use 00 buckshot?

Lou

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

buck shot,,,,two legged critters that go where they dont belong at nite around here,,,close range 15-30 feet prefered,,,always take the second shot too

4. Bushmaster1313

That is not what I meant.

Not being a hunter I would guess turkey racoon and ground hog, but I am curious as to range.

5. willing

willing Member

00 buck is the only ammo allowed for deer in some places. At least when I was in Northern Florida and some parts of NY.

Bill

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Can I change the question to: Will any bad things happen to the barrel with a Modified .020 choke tube if you shoot a rifled slug through it ??

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't thing anything bad is going to happen to your Modified choke. As far as 00 Buck, I've taken a few deer with 00 buck with my Remington 870 Wingmaster 30" barrel, fixed full choke, rib vent, 1970 vintage pump. A couple never knew what hit them, dumped them right in their tracks, No BS'n around. I love that gun. Deer, ducks, rabbits, pheasants, squirrels all taken with that full choke. That Remmy and a few other 870's and 1100's I have from that era are fixed choked guns. Great guns and none of my constrictions are hurt. Not all slugs are created equal. What kind of slugs are you talking about? Name, style, give some more info.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

miketmx, I've shot many Foster type slugs through modified,imp-mod and full choke guns without any problems. For whatever reason, the modified choked barrels shot better groups for me than did imp-cyl or cyl bores did. Some were shot with peep sights and scopes too. The most accurate I've ever shot were the fully rifled barrels with saboted loads. Truly surprisingly accurate with a good scope way out there for deer hunting!!

If only chilled buckshot is used, it wont hurt the full choke guns, hard or higher antimony and I wouldn't shoot it through any of my fulls and absolutely zero solid round balls, ie "punkin-balls!! JMHO

Hap

9. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

OO's worked real well in Nam! Jerry

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I haven't even looked at slugs for over 30 years but this year there is an early shotgun only season before the rifle season for deer in the zone where I got drawn and buckshot is not allowed. I will be primarily hunting for sharptails with a few slugs in my pocket just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
00 buck through a full choke

buckshot through full choke

buckshot thru a full choke trap barrell
can you shoot buckshot from skeet choke
is it ok to shoot buckshot through full choke
is it safe to shoot 00 buckshot through a fixed full choke

shootgun chokes are they safe with buckshoot

will buckshot damage my full choke barrel