1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe Safe Humidity?-(Updated and Answered)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone knew what a proper humidity level should be in a gun safe. I am at 72 degrees and 55% humidity with a golden rod heater and moisture absorber in the safe. Will I preclude rust with those numbers or should I put in a bigger heating rod?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I think you need to be at 14% or less, Google and see what comes up or check Golden Rod. I have two Golden Rods 24" in one safe and three in another, two 24" and one 12". My safe,s are in the garage bolted to the slab, I live four blocks off a bay in SoCal and have never had a rust problem with this set up in the last twenty five years. I worry more about winter conditions than summer because of higher humidity due to wet fogs.

Surfer

3. philk

philk Member

I seem to remember reading that the NRA Firearms Museum recomends storage at around 50% humidity, might want to double check with them on that. They ought to know.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

If you can maintain 14% and you live anywhere other than Arizona that is going to be a trick.40 to 50% is going to be average and should not produce any harm.

Jim

5. 3220

3220 Member

Hello All,

Thanks for your input. I will check with the NRA on that acceptable humidity level. I think I will add that extra golden rod just to be on the safe side!

Fred

6. GaryMC

GaryMC TS Member

Fred....Please let us all know what the NRA says....Thanks

7. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Just spoke with an extremely helpful fellow at the NRA museum. They keep the guns there at 70 degrees F and 50% humidity. The recommend the same for our guns. He said that is the best range to protect both the metal and the wood from any environmental damage. Hope that is a help to all.

All the best,

Fred

8. philk

philk Member

Thats what I thought, you know you can get things to dried out too.

9. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

So long as the temperature is higher than the dew point you are OK on the rust part. The big problem is with the wood. In Colorado during the winters wood furniture tends to dry out to the point of wood shrinkage and glue joins losing their grip. Prolonged dry air will crack the best cured and sealed wood if the interior of the wood goes below some % moisture depending on the wood itself. See the article linked and be sure to go to the other ( internal to the article ) link here:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/fpl_pdfs/fplrn268.pdf

Cut-n-paste the link into your browser.

If your stock wood started out at 10% moisture content the sidebar chart at 50% RH lets the wood dry down to 9%. Over a long time that isn't bad but over several long cycles the wood can still crack and move around a little.

Don T. Littleton CO

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

70 degrees and 50% humidity would require a 50.51 degree dew point.

What wood will absorb, and what the air humidity is will vary also.

Just look at the technique to raise dents in the stock, and you can see what humidity, and temperature can do to wood.

Search tags for this page

humidity level in gun safe