1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe Removal of Primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbart1948, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Problem: I am loading Remington STS / Gun Club Hulls using Remington 209 primers. While loading them on my MEC 9000, several of these primers have failed to seat in the primer hole as they are partially in and cocked to the right.

Question: How can I safely remove these primers. One thought is to imerse the hull in water, and then to pull them out with a pliers. Does anyone have any other ideas how this could be done in a safe manner.

Thanks

Dave

2. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Well if they are already totally loaded then you will have to cut the shell in half and then take the powder, wad, and shot out and you can deprime them in the reloader.. You can use a shell dismantler for cutting them in half.

Herman63

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If there are no other components in the hull, you can just deprime them in the press, using slow deliberate pressure. Wear your safety goggles or full face shield and don't put yourself too close. Another word of caution....Be sure there is no powder in the loader, just in case.

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

As a former Safety supervisor, my advice is not to do it. Why take the risk over a $0.10 case & primer? Just throw it away. Darrell

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The oil method is the safest for disposal. Consider others safety when you just 'throw them away" Who will be the next to handle your junk? I have removed them in the decapping station but use caution, wear your glasses. Not really the safest thing to do.

Big Jack

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah. Trow it avay Lena.

But you best figure out why the primers are catty-whumpus in the hulls. Dat voud vurry me.

Ole fer Sven

Sven cant not spell too guut.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If no stuff in shell, use the press. carefully.

Otherwise cut and then deprime the base, toss the hull.

Like was said here already.

Second time for this in 2 weeks.

HM

8. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Shooters - Big Jack "hit the nail on the head" of this topic. I am not concerned with any potential cost saving on recycling a primer. I am more concerned about safety.

With the exception of a live primer, the hulls are dismantled and empty. I could toss the whole thing, but what happens to the next guy who handles my trash? Will the primer go off in his/her face? Will the ignition of the primer cause a fire? Is there a way to make these primers safe without using my press to de-prime these empty hulls?

By the way these primers are "cocked", placing them snuggly into the deprime station is difficult.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.