1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Looking at safes, anyone have any info on either Champion medalist series or Liberty colonial? I have wanting either a 66 or 72 inch tall safe. thanks

2. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Let me give you a free pointer on safe doors.I have a Browning that opens a little past 180*with external hinges and a Liberty that only opens 90* with internal hinges.Trust me on this, you will at some point in time foreget that one only opens 90* Thank God they are bolted down or the shelf would have emptied on my feet...KS-OKIE

3. cnsane

cnsane Member

As the owner of a 60" safe; You will curse your decision every time you look at what you have stacked on top of your safe, knowing that the damned thing is jammed full and the extra height could have been secure storage instead of an open shelf you can see onto.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Get the biggest one you can. Liberty's are very good. Jeff

5. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I have it down to getting a taller safe for more storage up top. Just might have to go down in model to get size and other options I want. Any other suggestions on brands? Looking at the Liberty colonial or Champion Medalist or Trophy

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Look at Sturdy, American Security, Brown, or Fort Knox.

Most "value" priced safes aren't worth the money. As with most everything, you get what you pay for.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

7. tennman

tennman Member

I have a Superior that is excellent.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What do ya'll think of Zanotti.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Zanotti's are supposed to be pretty good.

But I heard recently that they have a very large back log. So it will be a while before you get one.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a Liberty and it has served me well ... I have the rotary combination dial, was told in case of a fire you can still open the safe not like the ones with the push buttons (digital) that will melt at extreme temps ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I use a Browning Medallion Fire Proof. Get a fire proof safe and you can store tax documents and get a small tax write off each year.(like a personal safe deposit box)

12. kenf

kenf Active Member

After looking doing a lot of research, I ended up with an Amsec BF7240. Believe, buy one as big as you can afford, they do fill up. The nice feature on the Amsec is the fireproofing material is poured in, like the high dollar Graffunder. The problem with fireboard is that it will release moisture during a fire to cool the inside.

It would be a fun test to get all of the popular safes that are out there. Load them into a house with guns/paperwork/valuables inside, and set the place on the fire to see how everything holds up. A true independent test.

13. WIKI2ECHO

WIKI2ECHO TS Member

I searched painfully for 7 or 8 months to find the "right" safe for guns and precious metals. The right safe for you is combination of what and how much you want to put in it and how much security you need. You can get a cheaper tin box or you cna go all out and buy the AMSEC HS topof the line. I thought I had decided on a Liberty Presidential or to go cheaper with the Steelwater. Got lucky and got a used AMSEC HS Series safe 6 fot by 3 by 3. My son bought the Steelwater. If you want quality best bang for the buck....the Steelwater merits looking at. If you really need the Fire proof and burglar proof get the best AMSEC you can afford. KENF has a great model mine was over $8k new but got it for $3k delivered used. My son loves the quality of his Steelwater BUT did not listen when I told him like many here on the board have said..GET A SAFE BIGGER THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL EVER NEED. Why....THEY FILL UP VERY FAST!!!.. Good luck.
    Bill

14. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I like the guns on the door feature of my Browning. Super easy access to the stuff I use most.

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

if you like looking at ferraris, you've got to take a look at a brown safe. and check out the prices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.