1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SAFE DISTANCE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Montana, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montana

Montana TS Member

wHAT IS THE SAFE DISTANCE THE ATA FEELS SHOOT CAN TRAVEL. I don't want the shot to fall on my neighbors so I need to know how far back to set my trap

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I actually conducted a test by shooting at a person. This determination of distance was required by the Montana DNRC & Ravalli county,MT. for a grant for a Pat trap. Bottom line:3 Dram AA 7 1/2 shot,Rem 870 Trap gun factory overbored 30 degree angle no wind normal temps midday====225 yds ABSOLUTE minimum. Call me at 406 821-3215 for all the details. Very easy to do & very safe also.
    Tom Lobonc Hamilton,MT

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shot fall distance most ranges use as a minimum is 300 yards.

4. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

The 300 yards comes from the NRA guidelines, but perhaps it's excessive.

In this day and age of shrinking lands around gun clubs, perhaps some difinitive test need to be done to enable clubs to continue shooters on fields with shorter distances. As long as the shot remains on the property, regardless of the distance, the range ought to be able to operate.

In Ontario, the Chief Firearms Officer has closed, or severely curtailed the activities of almost one half of the skeet clubs in the Province because they are using the 300 yard rule.Maybe it's time the NRA did a bit of recalculating else more club will close.
    Journee's formula says 209 yards for 7.5 shot. Maximum elevation is about 30 degrees, beyond that, shot falls back.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

See my commentary above. We checked the actual shot distance fall by using a person holding up a large cardboard & listening for hits on the cardboard.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

At 700 feet above sea level with tail winds on occasion, we have never had any shot leave our range. Our perimeter fenceline and beyond has been exhaustively tested never had any test show anything above background leead levels for Illinois.

Our range fence is a bit over 230 yards. Journee's formula for lead balls is the standard, unless the laws of physics operate differently on your patch of earth.

To clarify, the NRA range manual does not recommend a shotfall length, only to say that it should be in keeping with the ammunition allowed on any given range.

Easier to limit shot to #8s than move a fenceline. In reality, using geometry, a 6' shooter mounting a gun at 5', shooting at a target 105-140 feet at a 12' altitude - the rise over the run 6/105-6/140 is only a 4-5 degrees of angle...

Jay

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Canada recently published a rather indepth booklet on range design and constuction.

In it they identify shot fall distances from differnet size shot.

It may be of assistance or it may not, but they did do there homework...

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/clubs-ranges/const_guide/RangeDesign/RDCG/RDCG.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

safe distance for trap shooting

shooting trap safe distance